Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

32mm Masuyama

Westmoorland

I got a 14mm Baader Morpheus to go with my new C9.25 AVX as my first expensive eyepiece. I want to try a lower power but don't want to get into Televue prices just yet: (Though I got a Televue2x Barlow, just to be in the club at minimum cost).  The 32 Masuyama has all the specs I require at a comfortable price. Beyond some conjecture that it's 5-element design is ideal for SCT's, there isn't much analysis on this item online. I hoped someone here has some experience with it and could let me know if it's a good idea to order one.

Regards

• Like 1

Is this the 32mm 82 degree one at over £300 your talking about @Westmoorland?

Why not look at the APM UFF 30mm, very flat field, same 2" fitting and from my experience and others super,
Its a 65 degree field, but feels wider and plays nicely with Morpheus etc.
Oh and just over £200 as well.

IMG_0254.thumb.JPG.ecb95e5973409d473b21728246f50f24.JPG

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/apm-ultra-flat-field-eyepieces-65.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Is this the 32mm 82 degree one at over £300 your talking about @Westmoorland?

Why not look at the APM UFF 30mm, very flat field, same 2" fitting and from my experience and others super,
Its a 65 degree field, but feels wider and plays nicely with Morpheus etc.
Oh and just over £200 as well.

IMG_0254.thumb.JPG.ecb95e5973409d473b21728246f50f24.JPG

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/apm-ultra-flat-field-eyepieces-65.html

Actually, according to the Widescreen Centre, the FOV is 70° on the 30mil. No wonder it 'feels wider'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westmoorland said:

Found ep 168. No 163 on youtube. Never knew about this podcast. Thanks.

It's on Spotify and a bunch of other podcast services, nice podcast overall. I just had a quick listen to 163, the initial review of the Masuyama is from 25m40s in, but episode 168 also has a quick review of the 30mm UFF. 

I've measured the 30mm APM UFF's AFOV at 73°.  Its eAFOV is 70° due to some edge distortion.

If you're only going to be using it an f/10 SCT, I'd recommend the various 30mm WideScan III clones.  The field curvature isn't so bad for younger eyes at slow focal ratios.  It's very sharp in the central 50% even at f/6.

Here's a comparison image taken through my f/12 Synta Mak for several 30mm wide field eyepieces:

29mm - 30mm.JPG29mm - 30mm AFOV Full Views 127 Mak.jpg

Notice how well behaved the 30mm (ignore the 20mm marking) Agena UWA 80° eyepiece is.  There's no SAEP or CAEP, and 18mm of usable eye relief.  It also shows significantly more TFOV than the 30mm APM UFF and about the same as the 30mm ES-82, but with significantly less edge distortion and no CAEP.  It's sold under many brand names.  Here's the APM Eyepiece UW 30 mm 80° version.  Here it is from an ebay seller.  I can highly recommend it for slower scopes.  I passed mine along to my daughter for use in her Synta 127 Mak.