SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ATLAS TRIPOD- CHANGE TO MANUAL VS. GOTO

This will sound backwards but for me-it is moving forward. 

I currently own an Explore Scientific AR152 -6 in. Refractor with an Atlas tripod with Synscan GoTo Mount drive. 

Wanting to learn the sky better, after a long hiatus from astronomy.  Is there a manual mount I could buy that would fit my telescope and my Atlas Tripod?  In essence, making my GoTo a manual mount for my reintroduction to astronomy.  

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

An EQ5? You could convert to altaz if you wanted. Use as is for your grab and go, and keep the goto for when you want goto. I believe Geoptik make an adapter to fit your existing tripod if you wanna go down that route.

I'm not familiar with the mount, but you can probably use it as a manual just by leaving the clutches slackened off.  It may also be possible to reconfigure it as an alt-az if you reconfigure it for 0 deg or 90 deg latitude.

Personally I don't believe in this 'learn the sky' philosophy much.  This isn't the 19th century. Electronics rule.

I think the Atlas is equivalent to the eq6.

With a 6” frac that’s gonna be a beast.

Maybe you need something more manageable for when you just want a quick session, hence the suggestion of a manual eq5 which should carry your scope. Otherwise consider a smaller set up to compliment, like a tabletop dob.