Narrowband

Stereo Jupiter

Paul M

Last night I had an alll nighter with the 250 PDS and ASI178MC camera. One target was Juptier. I know a barlow would be a good idea but I just went with the native f/l which isn't best for planetary.

I took 2 x 90 sec SER files of 60 frame/sec (I think, Fircapture and I don't really know what each other are doing) and stacked the best 50% of each file in Autostakkert and wavleted it in RegiStax. The resulting images were pleasing to me. I thought it was the shadow of Ganymede bottom center of Jupiters disk but the shadow had long since cleared the disk an looking at Stellarium it must actually be Ganymede in transit.

The two 90 sec frames were saved out at 10 and 13 minutes past midnight so just into the 14th.

Just for fun I stitched them together in P.S. and when scaled correctly I can stero view them for the 3D effect. The Moons don't really work, getting into the overlap etc. But hey, it's a start.

2037795918_Jupstereo.thumb.png.28cb274884fb1b2e631d38d4320990d6.png

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, callisto said:

Nice wide shots 👍

The ASI178 is a good camera for planetary imaging, small chip and plenty of pixels but at f4.something there is a lot of sky there! Cropping just brings out the pixels so a smaller image looks better. Plus, it was possible to get all the Galilean Moons in frame as they were close enough to the planet.

I'm still learning the basics of planetary imaging and adding a Barlow will just make capture even harder right now!

• Like 1