Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL Challenge 6 - Holiday Astro

MartinB

Well this proved to be a judging nightmare!  We were looking for quality images which also gave some feeling of the holiday experience.   Our winners managed to nail both aspects.  

1) Emyliano2000

A stunning image dodging the cloud in Wales.

WebExport_2048px_RHO---Scorpius1-(watermark).png.png

2) Rustand

A gorgeous seascape and Milky Way

LoganRockHR.jpg

3) Pete Presland

Such a simple serene image

2022.08.11 20.35 Weymouth Moon Rise.jpg

I can't end this here though without 2 very special mentions.  

eshy 76 produced a simply stunning image of the Rho Ophiuci cloud complex during his holiday in Mauritius.  The only reason it wasn't amongst the winners is that the image itself didn't quite do enough to convey "holday". 

Rho Ophiuci Region 2022-08-16 v2rz.png

felias submitted a number of images from his holiday in France along with a great narrative.  His final image beautifully captured his holiday experience as well as being an excellent image in its own right.  He did a great job contending with heavy light pollution but it impacted just enough to keep him out of the medals.

FINAL3_33pc.jpg

There were plenty of excellent images and holdiay accounts so the thread is well worth a look https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/395482-sgl-2022-challenge-6-holiday-astro/  Hopefully it has given you ideas for your next holiday.  I would like to run the challenge again next year and I expect the judging will once again be almost impossible!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

WOW, My little Moon image in-between those stunning images!  The night i captured it was a proper comedy of errors, as i struggled to make a lens i don't normally use for astrophotography, focus on the Moon instead of the foreground. I did want some palm trees in the foreground, ended up down on the beach taking this image.

Congratulations to everyone who entered, some superb images there.

• Like 2