Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Latitude setting with Sky-Watcher EQ6-R pro

Hi all,

Very new to this lot so please forgive my ignorance,  I have read the Sky-Watcher EQ6-R manual cover to cover.

When I set the mount up I crank the latitude dial up to 53 degrees which is my location. I have been 3 days now trying to polar align through the polar scope to no avail. Polaris is simply not visible, no matter how far left and right I adjust the azimuth screws. However, purely by looking at Polaris and deciding that the mount needed to point higher up I increased the latitude to 58, and there was Polaris. My questions are:- Has anyone else had this issue? How accurate is the scale on the dial and what have I missed?!!

Any ideas/thoughts welcome.

Clear skies

Assuming that your base/tripod is level you haven't missed anything - the scale is a rough guide only.

I bought the device below for mine as I was planning to take it to darker sites - which never happened - but now you have the angle just note what it says on the scale and use that as a starting point.  Of course, if you don't move location just leave it set as is and you'll just be making small adjustments each time you set up.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MAZJSCQ

Michael

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tigertyson said:

Has anyone else had this issue?

Had exactly this when I was polar aligning my new EQ6-R.  Ended up nearly 60 degrees on the scale when it should have been 52 going by location.  I guess it just isn't that accurate as the software polar alignment seemed happy with that value.

That digital angle finder looks cool though.  I might get one to check nothing else has gone wonky I haven't noticed...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the (quick) replies. I will definitely leave it at 60 then. I wasted a good night trying to find Polaris. I think the latitude scale on the EQ6 is rather cheap and poor.... the pointer doesn't even reach the scale on my mount!!

Thanks again for the help. Just ordered the angle tool as well. That's going to be interesting too.

Clear skies hopefully🙂