Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The higher the planet the better the image?

I'm trying to image jupiter, uranus, mars and neptune at the moment with my rc8 and 2x barlow, the images are extremely distorted especially the further away planets can barely make them out as a static circle. they're quite low in the horizon as I'm in the UK. Does the image have less of a ripple and warping effect the higher they are in the sky? seems my jupiter image improved an hour later when I tried again.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72

Generally yes as there's less atmosphere for the light the travel through so gets distorted less. Also try not imaging them above buildings if possible, especially after a warm day as the heat rising also does the same thing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

Generally yes as there's less atmosphere for the light the travel through so gets distorted less. Also try not imaging them above buildings if possible, especially after a warm day as the heat rising also does the same thing.

Oh dear that's a shame I image in a north facing garden so I'm always facing above my house 😕 I've been waiting for saturn to appear above my house which I estimated another 2 years but even then I guess it's pointless because of the heat.

24 minutes ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

Oh dear that's a shame I image in a north facing garden so I'm always facing above my house 😕 I've been waiting for saturn to appear above my house which I estimated another 2 years but even then I guess it's pointless because of the heat.

The planets will be highest above the horizon at night during the winter months. So you shouldn't get a lot of distortion due to heat rising from the sun-warmed rooftiles at least.   A good reason for making sure that your loft is well insulated, I guess.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gfamily said:

The planets will be highest above the horizon at night during the winter months. So you shouldn't get a lot of distortion due to heat rising from the sun-warmed rooftiles at least.   A good reason for making sure that your loft is well insulated, I guess.  

I still don't know if i recorded neptune or uranus it's my first time, on neptune that is or i recorded a star since it's very difficult to find at that magnification. I want to try pluto, i know I will just get a dot that looks like any old star, but to say i have done it would be great, it's never been in the right place in the sky for me every time i checked on stellarium.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72
  • Like 1

You can still image above houses as I'm also surrounded by them but you'll have to take more frames so you increase the chances of capturing good seeing. I have however only attempted it usually late summer/autumn onward. I've never attempted the other gas giants other than Jupiter and Saturn, the further ones will become increasingly difficult and will usually only resolve as coloured dots. The outer planets will also appear at their largest when they're in opposition.

10 hours ago, Elp said:

You can still image above houses as I'm also surrounded by them but you'll have to take more frames so you increase the chances of capturing good seeing. I have however only attempted it usually late summer/autumn onward. I've never attempted the other gas giants other than Jupiter and Saturn, the further ones will become increasingly difficult and will usually only resolve as coloured dots. The outer planets will also appear at their largest when they're in opposition.

00_48_38_pipp_g4_ap13_crop.bmpwell here's my first attempt at the very wobbly neptune anyways. Am i right in saying that although neptune is a brighter blue than uranus it's further away so it appears duller because I had to ramp up the exposure, think it was 1.9seconds, uranus was 300ms i think. What do you mean by opposition so i can catch them at their closest distance. The moon was out as well so idk how much that effects it

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72