Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blue Origin - Unmanned flight aborted

malc-c

The flight had several holds before launch - and at around 30,000ft the capsule separated under power... reaching 37,000ft before coming in hard.  No coverage of the booster, which was last reported over 200,000ft up.... Webscast was cut short straight after the capsule hit the ground

EDIT:

Looking back at the footage seems the main engine failed just as the hit Max-Q, causing the escape system to deploy !

Edited by malc-c

missed that, but I guess at least the escape system kinda works... just needs some work on the landing 😉 

oh, wait... just reading that and it soft-landed, well done in that case 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59

13 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

missed that, but I guess at least the escape system kinda works... just needs some work on the landing 😉 

oh, wait... just reading that and it soft-landed, well done in that case 🙂 

I'm not sure the soft landing engines actually fired ... ?

The landing looked pretty hard to me ... fair play to them for sticking with the live broadcast though ... 🙂

• Like 1

I see what you mean, a lot of dust but that sure looked like impact, maybe they'd short fuelled the escape engines and it used it all up getting away? Didn't program in a lift n coast cycle...

Would've been fun to see a G force display of that the capsule was pulling as it escaped, more than a jolt I'd say.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

Looking at the way the capsule rocks as it pulls clear would make for one hell of a ride if it were crewed.

No coverage of the booster, with the telemetry showing it was around 264K feet in altitude.  No confirmation if it was detonated or blew up of its own accord.  There was clearly some issue they had given the duration and frequency of the holds.  

• Like 1