Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Io animation from 11.9

ONIKKINEN

Jupiter and Io, with the GRS barely still visible with an 8'' F/4.4 newtonian + paracorr and barlow to around F/12:

GIF-70-15fps01_41_12_lapl6_ap132_conv_pipp.gif.a462b9048f2b369266ea0e4b228a3a09.gif

15 recordings of various quality spanning around 20 minutes. Seeing varied a lot with pockets of what i assume is hot air passing through the view occasionally, but generally i would say that the seeing was good at the time.

Edited by ONIKKINEN
added barlow info
  • Like 17

50 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Excellent animation

Thank you!

55 minutes ago, inFINNity Deck said:

Hi Onikkinen,

that is an amazing animation! I presume you used a barlow in the process?

Could you share a short video of the data you collected, so we can see what Jupiter looked like when you were recording it?

Thanks,

Nicolàs

Thanks, yes should have written that i did use a 2.5x barlow on top of the paracorr that also adds 1.15x. The focal length is approx 2350mm with the setup i have now, which is a bit too much for 2 micron pixels but i cant easily shorten it with the kit i have now.

The raw recordings are 4 gigabytes, so i took 1600 frames (approx 8 seconds real time) and turned to a lower filesize AVI. Quality has suffered a bit, but honestly not that much and this is a pretty good representation of what it looked at the time:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Thank you!

Thanks, yes should have written that i did use a 2.5x barlow on top of the paracorr that also adds 1.15x. The focal length is approx 2350mm with the setup i have now, which is a bit too much for 2 micron pixels but i cant easily shorten it with the kit i have now.

The raw recordings are 4 gigabytes, so i took 1600 frames (approx 8 seconds real time) and turned to a lower filesize AVI. Quality has suffered a bit, but honestly not that much and this is a pretty good representation of what it looked at the time:

Hi Onikkinen,

Thanks for showing a bit of raw data, that already looked pretty good.

Nicolàs

Found the best recording of the bunch, this is what the single frame looks like with more attention given to it than the animation:

412352970_01_55_58_lapl6_ap195_convcopyJ.jpg.b007e36079c1d68314892f1925aec50d.jpg

Also, a blown up closeup of Io itself (from a different recording):

1158772469_01_44_19_lapl6_ap195_convcopy-Io.jpg.ac3f6beee5e744f70e19f2acb31fd0da.jpg

I can maybe imagine that Io has maybe a couple of pixels of detail on it, but could be just noise too, just found it curious. In theory not impossible with its 1.4'' size and an 8'' scope i suppose.

But that halo thing, anyone have a clue what that is? My barlow lens is basically touching the paracorr top lens, so my guess is some kind of reflection between the 2. But could this maybe be some kind of diffraction artifact if its not reflection related? Maybe the airy disk around Io? Dont know how to calculate any of that so just guessing.

• Like 6

Those are great images.  I've looked at Jupiter in the past with my telescope and not even got close to that level of detail it's amazing how the 'layering effect' of the 'persistence of vision' of cameras and videos makes all the difference.   I have always been amazed by the level detail and images captured by all of SGLs imaging community.  With many of the pictures that I've seen I've always been amazed at what can be achieved just sitting on our bit of rock so many miles away literally in some folks back yards.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JOC said:

Those are great images.  I've looked at Jupiter in the past with my telescope and not even got close to that level of detail it's amazing how the 'layering effect' of the 'persistence of vision' of cameras and videos makes all the difference.   I have always been amazed by the level detail and images captured by all of SGLs imaging community.  With many of the pictures that I've seen I've always been amazed at what can be achieved just sitting on our bit of rock so many miles away literally in some folks back yards.

Thanks, its always a surprise to see what kind of detail the skies gave this time. Its not at all apparent during capture whether the end result will be a waste of time or a good image. Software made available to the public is doing almost all of the work here, we are lucky to have all the amazing software free to use for amateurs!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Found the best recording of the bunch, this is what the single frame looks like with more attention given to it than the animation:

412352970_01_55_58_lapl6_ap195_convcopyJ.jpg.b007e36079c1d68314892f1925aec50d.jpg

Also, a blown up closeup of Io itself (from a different recording):

1158772469_01_44_19_lapl6_ap195_convcopy-Io.jpg.ac3f6beee5e744f70e19f2acb31fd0da.jpg

I can maybe imagine that Io has maybe a couple of pixels of detail on it, but could be just noise too, just found it curious. In theory not impossible with its 1.4'' size and an 8'' scope i suppose.

But that halo thing, anyone have a clue what that is? My barlow lens is basically touching the paracorr top lens, so my guess is some kind of reflection between the 2. But could this maybe be some kind of diffraction artifact if its not reflection related? Maybe the airy disk around Io? Dont know how to calculate any of that so just guessing.

Nice image with good details. Regarding Io, you could run a simulation in Winjupos. The halo most likely an artefact IMHO.

• 1 month later...