Narrowband

Game Show Telescopes

Sunshine

My wife loves watching classic 70’/80’s game shows and quite often telescopes are given away as prizes. They usually are Meade and Celestron refractors or the occasional SCT on bonus rounds, something you never see these days on modern game shows. While watching one just now she brought to my attention they’d be showing one a contestant won, I think it’s cool, it seems stargazing was more popular back then, I snapped a pic of my tv screen for those of you who may have owned this same model. It seems to be pointed in the right direction, at least. 😅

CAB5CC0D-7304-4F28-9357-E5F1F854A021.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 4

I guess back in the 70's there were still moon missions and voyager to stir some interest, and of course the web wasn't as available or filled with images that are so readily available now. For many its maybe a case of not born while space exploration was still a big thing and the meh! factor of what you can actually see vs dazzling images they can pull up on the PC/table/phone, so why stand out on the odd clear freezing night when you can sit and google...

• Like 2

From talking to kids most have little to know interest or knowledge. Eg one 16 yrs old who I talked to recently didn’t know what our galaxy, the Milky Way was, and thought that the Milky Way could be our solar system - although I think that was a total guess pulled out of thin air.

Mind, my daughter is very interested and we enjoy doing astronomy together. A good friend of mine who has a couple of kids did make the comment of “I’m jealous of you being able to star gaze with Alice” so maybe interest is hidden within our  modern age. 

• Like 1