Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick question

The only issue I can see is when balancing, you'd have to move the mount during the balancing, so unless your mount has encoders or you can get the mount axes back to exactly the same places, the alignment would likely be off. If you can get the axes back very close to their parked positions, maybe the alignment would only be very slightly off (so maybe good enough to work with).

Edited by The Lazy Astronomer
Typo

2 hours ago, Neil H said:

If you change scopes during a session do you need to do a star alignment again

Hi 

If you are doing photography and using plate solving there won't be a problem. If visual, well when I have a software glitch and lose connection to the my HEQ5, I hit park to home position so EQMOD thinks its moved the telescope there, I then go to the telescope and release the clutches to place the scope in the home position. I then go and reset the software and when I reconnect over EQMOD I unpark and it slews correctly. So in a long winded way, I think you should be OK. If using the hand controller, then park, power off, change scopes, release clutches and re-balance, put scope back to home position, tighten clutches and Bob's your uncle.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see this being possible. 

1) If you park the mount, how are you going to balance it without releasing the clutches and unparking it? I suppose you might have both the dovetail and C/W bar marked up in advance but how accurate will that be? The marks on the mount are not going to give a good enough position for a restart. Consider the length of the imaginary line going from the scope all the way to the stars. A tiny change in angle will take you a very long way off target.

2) Swapping scopes will involve a fair bit of pulling and pushing which is very likely to shift it slightly.

3) It is very unlikely that the different scopes will share precise alignment since there is a lot of room for variance in the fit of dovetail to saddle plate, tube rings to dovetail and scope to tube rings. In other words the cone error will not be the same on each scope when mounted and the software has allowed specifically for the original scope's cone error during the alignment process.

All in all I think your chances of retaining a useful alignment will approximate to zilch! :grin:

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 3