Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Off axis guider ?

ninjageezer

Can anyone recommend a decent off axis guider to use with an edgehd 8 fitted with a .7 reducer,i want to use a loadstar x2 to guide also.

plan was to get a celestron OAG but none about in the uk and no one give any time scale for any,so plan b......i do see ZWO have fetched out a new OAG ,not sure if it was better than the last one as all i heard was complaints mainly due to the tiny prism.

The LodeStar X2 has a 6.45mm x 4.75mm sensor, so any OAG with a 8mm x 8mm prism will do.

Just get one with fittings that match your kit.

Some of the premium OAGs look to be identical to the no-name ones 😆

A helical focuser makes focusing the LodeStar so much easier, but the extra length can sometimes make it impossible to match the main image camera to prism distance.

Baader make a low profile helical focuser.

Michael

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 14:15, ninjageezer said:

decent off axis guider

Hi

Our cat guy says this one. Solid and with a choice of prisms:

pan_02.png.b504bacfca329288c08daad059bfaff0.png

You'll also need the imperial to metric adapter. 

M48 recommended, as extension rings in this size are readily available to adjust the 0.7 to sensor distance. M54 less so.

If you're EU, they'll ship from within. 

HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

The new ZWO OAG has a larger prism than their previous one (12x12mm instead of 6x6) and also incorporates a helical focuser. If I don't succeed in DIY-ing myself a new stalk and prism for my old ZWO OAG, on of these will go into the queue. 

The Askar OAG has a 10x10 prism, helical focuser for the guide camera and comes with telescope and camera side thread adapters to M42, M48 and M54. So far i have liked mine and cant find something to complain about. The price is pretty good too if you consider the fact that it has all of the adapters in the box.

Also looks like FLO has some stock left of it, so worth considering.

• Thanks 1