SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starwave 152mm F5.9 V3 Red Tube Achromat Refractor.

I have been tempted to get one of these for a long while, but the fairly recent price increase put me off. The wide field possibilities just seem to ooze out of it, never mind that red colour! I have also been considering the Tecnosky and Bresser similar scopes. But this is RED!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.aTAW3-4lAYkPBwxwbN6HZAHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Can someone please persuade me of the folly of scratching this itch? ( I still have not cut the number of the current flock, despite promising to... )

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 4

I'd go ahead and buy one!  🙂.

I've had one and the CA didn't bother me, less than I expected, good on the Moon and planets, and great on deep sky.  Better than most f5 achromats I've looked through.  Very well made.  Just be aware it's heavy, a bit over 20lbs if I recall correctly. It needs a mount capable of taking that weight.

Edited by paulastro
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

I have been tempted to get one of these for a long while, but the fairly recent price increase put me off. The wide field possibilities just seem to ooze out of it, never mind that red colour! I have also been considering the Tecnosky and Bresser similar scopes. But this is RED!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.aTAW3-4lAYkPBwxwbN6HZAHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Can someone please persuade me of the folly of scratching this itch? ( I still have not cut the number of the current flock, despite promising to... )

But, it's red! You have to buy it just for that. I want one, too, now but I already have a red 152 mm RC6! Do they do it in blue?

Did I help? 🤣

• Haha 2

On 09/09/2022 at 20:46, Greymouser said:

Not the same, but I love my Altair 125EDF,  the build quality is excellent and the views superb...You do know that there is one of these for sale on the used forum here. Not in red, but white and with a few marks to the tube, so possibly room to negotiate? https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/396465-starwave-152mm-f59/#comment-4257997 (not mine I hasten to add, but always wondered how good the views would be)

Chris

• Like 1

Can someone please persuade me of the folly of scratching this itch?

Ok, I'll have a go..🤔😋

Reasons not to buy..

* Heeeaaavvvy!!

* Likely significant CA at F5.9 (but I've never looked through one)..

* Relatively niche market so would it be easy to sell on without a hefty loss?

* The "Marmite" colour scheme..you either love it or hate it..personally I hate it, cos scopes should be white!😋

There..I've done my best, but my money is on your buying one anyway!!🤦😁😂

Dave

• Haha 1

I know your temptation, I kept looking at a used one listed on Fleabay a month ago,
the distance away and needing collecting, fule prices and not least saving funds for other things stopped the itch,
well for now.

So I encourage you to be tempted, but and its a definate but, is it too niche?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Ok, I'll have a go..🤔😋

Reasons not to buy..

* Heeeaaavvvy!!

* Likely significant CA at F5.9 (but I've never looked through one)..

* Relatively niche market so would it be easy to sell on without a hefty loss?

* The "Marmite" colour scheme..you either love it or hate it..personally I hate it, cos scopes should be white!😋

There..I've done my best, but my money is on your buying one anyway!!🤦😁😂

Dave

Hmmmm...

Firstly, no, it is not light, but a little lighter than my C9.25. +
Secondly, I deeply regret selling my little, ( very light, ) ST 102. Either it was a very good one, or a little CA doesn't bother me.  +
Thirdly, If you are buying new, isn't there always going to be a loss, if you sell? ( Sell, Sell? What's that? Though I will have to do so at some point... ) +
Fourthly, yes a niche market, but it will fit a gap in the fleet... +
Fifthly, I do like white scopes, I do like black ones, I do very like red ones, ( this even has a red tinted lens! ) I even very much like orange ones! ( The orange Celestron SCT's have always appealed. As did a Konus once upon a time.) I do like yellow scopes. In fact the colour is less important than the use I will get from it. This red one is very striking though, eh? +

Yes, you might be right with that last statement, I appear to be talking myself into buying. ( Must get a scope sold... ) -

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I know your temptation, I kept looking at a used one listed on Fleabay a month ago,
the distance away and needing collecting, fule prices and not least saving funds for other things stopped the itch,
well for now.

So I encourage you to be tempted, but and its a definate but, is it too niche?

I agree it is quite niche, but I need to rationalise my scopes. I need to cover all bases, all uses. I have two SCT's, both very good, but niche. I have a 72 EDF, which whilst wildfield, is small of aperture, this would expand on that enjoyable theme. I have a F13.4 refractor, which to be frank is excellent on solar system, even maybe makes the SCT's redundant.

Your comment about other commitments for the money, is all that is holding me back to be honest. Can I justify it? There again, life is so short and it could bring so much viewing pleasure...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Hmmmm...

Secondly, I deeply regret selling my little, ( very light, ) ST 102. Either it was a very good one, or a little CA doesn't bother me.  +
Thirdly, If you are buying new, isn't there always going to be a loss, if you sell? ( Sell, Sell? What's that? Though I will have to do so at some point... ) +
Fifthly, I do like white scopes, I do like black ones, I do very like red ones, ( this even has a red tinted lens! ) I even very much like orange ones! ( The orange Celestron SCT's have always appealed. As did a Konus once upon a time.) I do like yellow scopes. In fact the colour is less important than the use I will get from it. This red one is very striking though, eh? +

Yes, you might be right with that last statement, I appear to be talking myself into buying. ( Must get a scope sold... ) -

I agree it is quite niche, but I need to rationalise my scopes. I need to cover all bases, all uses. I have two SCT's, both very good, but niche. I have a 72 EDF, which whilst wildfield, is small of aperture, this would expand on that enjoyable theme. I have a F13.4 refractor, which to be frank is excellent on solar system, even maybe makes the SCT's redundant.

Your comment about other commitments for the money, is all that is holding me back to be honest. Can I justify it? There again, life is so short and it could bring so much viewing pleasure...  

Greymouser, I bet you wish you never asked now!  😅

15 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Hmmmm...

I can only imagine using this would be like an ST102 on steriods...

One of my regretful sales was an ST120 with a semi apo filter. That was a fun scope. Using it for the intended purpose of widefield observation, CA wasn't an issue and with the filter, wasn't so bad on solar system bodies.

The Altair scopes seem to be decent quality all around. I like mine. Are they all United Optics made?

If you can mount the scope and afford it, buy used and if it's not for you, the resale will bring little to no loss.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

• 1 year later...

I am well late here but i have just purchased my 3rd 152 mm v3 Starwave ... the first i regretfully sold but i bought it back , but then had to sell it again when money was a bit tight . Now i hve just bought another from Altair Astro ... I love this scope and fondly remember my first views of the Leo triplet through it . And of course , i can do it all over again as its Galaxy  season . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

I always keep coming back to take a look at this scope and nearly talk myself into purchasing!. I still may TBH. 

Rob , the scope is a real looker , which does help . I used it last night to look at a few trees 2 miles away and there was no false colour . It WILL show a bit of colour on the likes of Sirius and vega and of course the moon but its negligable and the pure 6" of aperture far outweighs any CA impurities . The good  thing is that the glass is listed as japanese and german schott , and is well corrected at the factory ... also you get a small bag of Haribo's lol . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Reason enough to purchase another one Stu.

I think Elena will nab those , Alan ... i think thats fair trade for letting me buy another one 🤣

54 minutes ago, callisto said:

Your gonna have to name these scopes 'boomerangs' Stu  😉 

Mark.

Mark , i've got that damn song " my boomerang won't come back " in my head now ...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you're not aware, just check it's weight, its  quite heavy so needs a good mount.  I've had one and it was a great scope for sweeping the night sky and as an HA solar scope..  I've thought of getting another a few times and it's the weight that put me off.  

My 152 Achro is fine for sweeping star fields, but so is a 6" f/5 Newtonian which is much lighter, cheaper, and color free.  The 152 does very poorly on planets and double stars at moderate to high power thanks to excessive CA.  DSOs appear about the same as in the Newt.

@Stu1smartcookie What exactly do you find the 152 Achro to do particularly well or better than other comparable scopes?  The only thing I've found it good for is extreme testing of violet-cut and red-cut filters to find out which (combination) yields the best image of various objects.  Because I love tinkering with optical combinations, I find it fun.  I'm trying to justify why I'm holding onto it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

My 152 Achro is fine for sweeping star fields, but so is a 6" f/5 Newtonian which is much lighter, cheaper, and color free.  The 152 does very poorly on planets and double stars at moderate to high power thanks to excessive CA.  DSOs appear about the same as in the Newt.

@Stu1smartcookie What exactly do you find the 152 Achro to do particularly well or better than other comparable scopes?  The only thing I've found it good for is extreme testing of violet-cut and red-cut filters to find out which (combination) yields the best image of various objects.  Because I love tinkering with optical combinations, I find it fun.  I'm trying to justify why I'm holding onto it.

I didn't buy it for planets , that's why I have an 8" SCT  ..

I bought one (again) for widefield viewing . To me it's the perfect combination ..but  of course no scope is perfect and there will be the doubters although I'm not sure why as no opinions were sought.I really like refractors and although I don't dislike reflectors for me they are awkward beasts. ( I have owned many ) . Anyway , not sure why I need to justify a purchase . Ultimately every scope that is bought is inferior in some way .. I suppose in a perfect world we would all buy the James Webb telescope . 

• Like 1

ive had the 152 starwave about 6 months and love it. the red to me looks fantastic. As far as weight goes, im 69 yo and dont think its heavy, i carry it about the house upstairs downstairs and out onto my pier, no problem, there must be some very weak people on here hahaha. Also i observe away from home a lot and use the scope on an AVX mount and a great team they make. Anyone that wants a 152 frac id say go for it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Anyway , not sure why I need to justify a purchase .

No, you don't need to ever justify a purchase to anyone else (except perhaps your family CFO, if you know what I mean).  I'm just trying to figure out what I've been missing with this scope.  I'll try some more widefield viewing with it.

• Like 1