Narrowband

AP with an iPad?

YogSothoth

As the title suggests, is this possible, or do I need to buy a PC? I only have AZ mounted scopes at the moment but was thinking of buying a tracker that I can use a DSLR camera on for some simple AP. I can’t seem to find any stacking software for the iPad. Affinity is available but I believe the stacking feature isn’t included.

1 hour ago, YogSothoth said:

Thanks for the reply and that’s about what I thought. I use Affinity for general photography, which works well on iPad but it doesn’t have stacking. Looks like a laptop is probably the only way to go

You could try using an RPi4. That has plenty of grunt for imaging and controlling the mount etc. I use that powered by Astroberry which is a pre-built image that includes relevant software for Astro. But I agree to do the processing of large images you would be better off getting a laptop. I too have Affinity on my ipad but use Siril on an old laptop that cant run windows but can run linux 🙂

3 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

You could try using an RPi4. That has plenty of grunt for imaging and controlling the mount etc. I use that powered by Astroberry which is a pre-built image that includes relevant software for Astro. But I agree to do the processing of large images you would be better off getting a laptop. I too have Affinity on my ipad but use Siril on an old laptop that cant run windows but can run linux 🙂

Thanks for the reply but at the risk of sounding ignorant, what’s an RPi4?

14 minutes ago, YogSothoth said:

what’s an RPi4?

Raspberry Pi mini PC. If you are having to ask the question then it may be tricky.....

A reasonably cheap second hand Windows laptop will run both imaging and allow image processing (albeit a little slowly). I used to do mine on a second hand pentium without a problem, but any moderately good PC will do it.

• Like 1

You could potentially do some solar system AP, but god knows how you’d attach the iPad to a scope. If you mean wide field shots of the sky, then it’s easy to just do a long exposure picture. What you won’t be able to do, is take multiple long exposures tracked for stacking, which is really what AP is. Absolutely all AP starts with the mount (apart from untracked planetary).

• Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 11:05, sorrimen said:

You could potentially do some solar system AP, but god knows how you’d attach the iPad to a scope. If you mean wide field shots of the sky, then it’s easy to just do a long exposure picture. What you won’t be able to do, is take multiple long exposures tracked for stacking, which is really what AP is. Absolutely all AP starts with the mount (apart from untracked planetary).

I was thinking of the iPad more for the processing side rather than taking the photos. I have a DSLA and was thinking of buying a tracker to use it on. It was more a case of using the iPad for stacking, rather than having to buy a laptop as well but, it appears that none of the Apple apps have a stacking facility 

17 hours ago, YogSothoth said:

I was thinking of the iPad more for the processing side rather than taking the photos. I have a DSLA and was thinking of buying a tracker to use it on. It was more a case of using the iPad for stacking, rather than having to buy a laptop as well but, it appears that none of the Apple apps have a stacking facility 

Stacking needs lots of RAM & Disk space. Compute power is also good to have, but if the other 2 requirements are adequate then a slower processor with less cores will just take longer.

• Like 1