Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Five inch newt, what a scope.

Marvin Jenkins

We have all seen plenty of posts and threads about large aperture scopes. 
I for one would love to be a contributor to a thread about some big truss newt, but sadly funds do not allow.

However, I have a five inch newt. Actually my first scope on a horrible EQ2 mount with five minutes of wobble. 
Despite the mount it served me well until I had the funds for an EQ5 and 150pds and AP took over.

The five inch lay sad and unused until now as I have an AZ5 for it. A friend of mine who has an ‘installation’ that would cost my earth said “five inch newt, capable instrument” At the time I thought he was trying to make me feel better after being around multi thousand pound scopes.

With the AZ5 I have realised he was dead right. Looking back through my diary I had forgotten how many firsts were viewed with that mirror.

For any beginners or lurkers out there, just be aware that I have come full circle and I am back at the EP of the scope that started it all for me. Not only that the views are really good.

Marv

• Like 12

Nice, I remember how much I loved my Celestron C4.5 newt way back in the early 90’s, cut my teeth observing and learning how to use an EQ mount with that scope. Though the tube rings dented the tube if tightened too much, I guess that was missed in the engineering lab but the scope was built like a tank.

• Like 2

Agreed, I have had a lot of success with my Heritage 130P, usually mounted on my Mini Giro WR. It’s good for deep sky (memorable views of the Veil from a dark site), excellent doubles splitter and useful on the moon. Never really tried it with the planets but I’m confident it would acquit itself well. In fact I like the 5” Newt format so much I have considered a 130PDS - shame they don’t do a 130P specifically for visual. 

19 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Agreed, I have had a lot of success with my Heritage 130P, usually mounted on my Mini Giro WR. It’s good for deep sky (memorable views of the Veil from a dark site), excellent doubles splitter and useful on the moon. Never really tried it with the planets but I’m confident it would acquit itself well. In fact I like the 5” Newt format so much I have considered a 130PDS - shame they don’t do a 130P specifically for visual. 

Interesting, how do you like that mini giro? Funny you say about the 130 pds as my 5” Orion US is in effect a SW 130p with an awful focuser. 
I changed the focuser for the unit used on a 130 pds. I could have just bought a 130 pds I hear you all cry and you are all 100% right.

The long and short is that I am loving the quick get out there, use the of the AZ 130 combo and under B3! where I live it is a lot of view considering I had stopped using it in favour of the 150pds.

What I am trying to say is that under darker skies which I know many don’t have a five inch newt is a great telescope capable of getting you views of at least half if not more of the messier catalog. And my 5” has sat unused for well over one year.

Not anymore. Marv

36 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

how do you like that mini giro?

The Heritage 130P, being so light, works really well on the mini giro. It’s a lot of light gathering for such ultra-potable setup. I wouldn’t use the mini-giro for anything bigger though, although plenty of folk have. 

37 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I changed the focuser for the unit used on a 130 pds

Yes, I tried to track down a cheap 130P OTA myself so I could ‘pimp’ it in the same way, but I never managed to find one.

39 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I could have just bought a 130 pds I hear you all cry and you are all 100% right.

True, but the 130PDS has a bigger secondary for imaging, so you probably got better views with your 130P! 

• Like 1