SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Long and skinny!

4 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I found a couple of floppy disks the other day and almost laughed at the quoted storage space.

My first floppy discs were 8" single-sided with a formatted capacity of 160 kB! I still had the drive in my garden shed until a couple of years ago. I also have 4 Seagate IDE hard disc drives of 20 MB capacity.

3 hours ago, globular said:

Did you ever cut a slot with scissors, to mirror the one already there, to turn them into double sided?
Happy days.

Absolutely with the 5 1/4" ones.  There were square hole punches that worked very well for this purpose.

spacer.png

13 hours ago, globular said:

Did you ever cut a slot with scissors, to mirror the one already there, to turn them into double sided?
Happy days.

I see someone has already posted about the notch punch that we used to use back then. Double the capacity for no extra cost, what's not to like?

We also had a 14" Winchester drive where you had to physically install the stack of platters, close the lid and vac the chamber down. Ran at 3600 rpm because it was American so we had an inverter to supply the synchronous motor at 60 Hz from the 50 Hz UK grid! I think each stack had a capacity of 10 MB! The mainframe was a Honeywell 516 which was programmed in octal.

• Like 1