Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CELESTRON STARSENSE EXPLORER 8 INCH DOB - OTA BAG FOR TRANSPORT.

paulastro

I needed a case for my Starsense Explorer 8 inch Dob for transporting it when observing away from home. I searched the options and the Oklop range seemed to have one that fitted the bill. 

I was concerned however that the 200/1000 size, the obvious choice, wouldn't in fact accommodate it. This was due to the phone base unit which is permanently on the tube, and the phone holder itself which detaches from it. 

I emailed FLO asking their opinion, and Alex got back to me suggesting the 250/1000 might be a better bet.  Anyway I could order it and return it if it didn't suit.  This is what I did.

I've had Oklop cases before, and was pleased it's of the same quality, nicely padded, hard wearing and good zips.  There is no external pocket(s), but this wasn't a problem for me.

The scope fits in the bag nicely, it's not a tight fit but I prefer havinga bit of extra room.  It's much easier when getting a scope in and out in the dark.

The case can be zipped up with the phone holder still in place on its cradle fairly comfortably.  I will only use the bag for transport rather than storage, so will remove the holder when I'm using it.  I wouldn't want to arrive at Kelling in twelve days time to find the cradle was damaged!   I think this is unlikely to happen, but why take the risk?  There's room in the base to have the detached cradle go inside it in a smaller bag if you wished. As users of these scopes will know, the cradle can be removed without upsetting the alignment of your phone with the telescope.

I also removed the two tension adjuster knobs from the tube for the same reason.  Again, if you want them inside the bag, they will fit inside in a suitable small padded bag.

In summary, I'm very pleased with it.  It is fine for how I am going to use it.  It fits comfortably, gives the degree of protection I need and is easy to access -  with a shoulder strap supplied as well as the handles.  

I would recommend this size over the 200/1000 version, which I think would be too small.  Of course this may not be the case if you have a different make 200/1000 Dobsonian.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-250mm-1000mm-newtonians.html

1641374898_Screenshot_20220908-153325_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2546ce2d0b98d62bf59a0975ddd27be9.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I needed a case for my Starsense Explorer 8 inch Dob for transporting it when observing away from home. I searched the options and the Oklop range seemed to have one that fitted the bill. 

I was concerned however that the 200/1000 size, the obvious choice, wouldn't in fact accommodate it. This was due to the phone base unit which is permanently on the tube, and the phone holder itself which detaches from it. 

I emailed FLO asking their opinion, and Alex got back to me suggesting the 250/1000 might be a better bet.  Anyway I could order it and return it if it didn't suit.  This is what I did.

I've had Oklop cases before, and was pleased it's of the same quality, nicely padded, hard wearing and good zips.  There is no external pocket(s), but this wasn't a problem for me.

The scope fits in the bag nicely, it's not a tight fit but I prefer havinga bit of extra room.  It's much easier when getting a scope in and out in the dark.

The case can be zipped up with the phone holder still in place on its cradle fairly comfortably.  I will only use the bag for transport rather than storage, so will remove the holder when I'm using it.  I wouldn't want to arrive at Kelling in twelve days time to find the cradle was damaged!   I think this is unlikely to happen, but why take the risk?  There's room in the base to have the detached cradle go inside it in a smaller bag if you wished. As users of these scopes will know, the cradle can be removed without upsetting the alignment of your phone with the telescope.

In summary, I'm very pleased with it.  It is fine for how I am going to use it.  It fits comfortably, gives the degree of protection I need and is easy to access -  with a shoulder strap supplied as well as the handles.

I would recommend this size over the 200/1000 version, which I think would be too small.  Of course this may not be the case if you have a different make 200/1000 Dobsonian.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-250mm-1000mm-newtonians.html

I like the Oklop bags. I always look at the dimensions rather than what scope a particular bag is intended for. When I needed one for my iOptron RC6, there was not one listed, but I found one in the range that looked perfect. It was for an 8" Celestron (I think), but with the baffles in the RC6 it was the perfect size and has a handy pouch at one end for accessories. I'd definitely buy Oklop again.

• Like 1

I bought an Oklop bag for similar reasons, to carry my StellaLyra 8" dob (200x1200). In my case, the bag fits like a glove, EXCEPT for the altitude bearings, which project a significant distance from the sides. These can be removed, but it's a bit of a faff with four Allen key bolts, which have to be aligned exactly to maintain balance. In retrospect, I might have done better to buy a wider size, as you did.