SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Round two of the Helix Nebula from the UK

tich

Hi everyone 
This is a target I've wanted to capture for a long time but from my location it only rises to 17 degrees so a challenging one to get, we've travelled right down to the Southwest of England to try to get it but the pitch we were promised & the one we were given had a great big cow shed blocking the South view. We came home a bit despondent but as I've already had a go at some low down targets from home I thought I'd give it a go & to my surprise after starting the sequence in NINA there it was in the field of view. My South view is a lot clearer now due to a neighbour having a tree cut down but the town on the horizon especially the industrial units do produce a lot of light pollution so I wasn't having high hopes.
After a couple of imaging sessions I did a stack & quick-ish process just to see what I got, the image looked a little soft which wasn't a huge surprise shooting through all that atmosphere & murk let alone the light pollution to but it had promise. So I went out again at every opportunity just to see what I could get, in the end seven hours 16 minutes & thirty seconds worth of data was captured, I did try some longer subs but in all honesty I wasn't seeing much of an improvement so kept them short at ninety seconds but I did combine all the data for the end result.
I do envy those who live further South as this has been a challenge to capture but maybe I'll be able to get some more data next season.

1060403551_HelixLRGBStars.thumb.jpg.e83e56cb67261513bc704890fa113c9e.jpg

899480160_HelixLRGBStarsCrop.thumb.jpg.25ba5755e30e31a500d291443f533388.jpg

Starless image just to show more of the Nebula itself 955380669_HelixLRGBStarless.thumb.jpg.b98457bff8b842edb46b221ff649ce86.jpg

Equipment used; RASA 11, IDAS NBZ filter, Altair Astro 269C OSC camera on an AZ EQ6 GT mount

Edited by tich
  • Like 16

• tich changed the title to Round two of the Helix Nebula from the UK

Awesome! 

well done for capturing this, and doing such a nice job!
I feel your pain, I have traveled to image only to be let down by the weather or local obstacles/lights etc 

You are lucky your neighbour has cut the tree down, some of my southern horizon is blocked by neighbours trees and it frustrates me as they have a tendency to “grow” each year!! 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, assouptro said:

You are lucky your neighbour has cut the tree down, some of my southern horizon is blocked by neighbours trees and it frustrates me as they have a tendency to “grow” each year!! 

Sadly it looks like the stump wasn't killed off & it's rising up again, it's still got a way to go but I can see my view being blocked again sometime in the future so I'll be concentrating on southern targets for as long as I can I think weather permitting.

• Sad 1