SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sh2-91, Sh2-94, Sh2-96 and a faint but huge SNR in Cygnus

gorann

This is a two-panel mosaik from my dual RASA8 rig acquired over two nights 30 August to 1 September.

This Supernova remnant (G65.3+5.7) in the southern part of Cygnus is about as big as the Veil nebulae complex but much weaker. It is also further away, about 2500 Ly  as compared to 1500 Ly for the Veil nebulae, and it is four times older (about 30000 years), so in reality it is probably bigger. Indeed, it do extend a bit outside my field of view although I caught most of the brighter parts.

This is a HaOiii image was acquired with the IDAS NBZ filter on my dual-RASA8 rig. Processed in PI and PS. Starless processing was essential to bring out the faint nebulosity. StarXTerminantor did for once a terrible job but fortunately StarNet2 nailed it. Totally 244 x 5 min, so 20.5 hours.

Cheers, Göran

2134629037_20220901Sh2-91Pan12PS17smallSign.thumb.jpg.182484c7152c92fe28356b9cab77f399.jpg

1447223142_Screenshot2022-09-07at16_09_19.thumb.png.d92f9c4cf97b733c0523f53b0c51aaf2.png

Edited by gorann
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Epic work Gorann! 

It’s refreshing to see new images of objects “up there” that aren’t the usual targets 

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of less imaged nebulosity from you with that photon sucking rig! 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

• Thanks 1

Intriguing object, looks more like the Spaghetti Nebula, but with more Oxygen signal. I wonder how many very faint SNRs are up there,  but I assume the whole sky has been deeply surveyed so there are no new discoveries to be made. Do you find these targets using an on-line resource?

6 hours ago, assouptro said:

Epic work Gorann! 

It’s refreshing to see new images of objects “up there” that aren’t the usual targets 

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of less imaged nebulosity from you with that photon sucking rig! 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

Thanks a lot Bryan! Yes more is in the pipeline😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomato said:

Intriguing object, looks more like the Spaghetti Nebula, but with more Oxygen signal. I wonder how many very faint SNRs are up there,  but I assume the whole sky has been deeply surveyed so there are no new discoveries to be made. Do you find these targets using an on-line resource?

Thanks Steve!

Often I find them scanning Aladin Sky Atlas, but in this case there were a few images on Astrobin, most of them just showing a little piece of it drowned in stars, so I got inspired to show more of it.