SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night, Monday 12th

DaveS

Just looking back at a few posts from this thread before the show aired- @Jiggy 67was hoping for tips about the entry into astrophotography with a DSLR and @JeremyS was pleased to see any topic about amateur astronomy on the programme…

Even if I enjoyed the programme, if I was either of them I’d feel the programme didn’t live up to my expectations based on the title…(although we should also note the title didn’t say amateur astrophotography- it looks like many of us made that connection because of Pete L)

Whilst forum members may not be the entirety of the target audience- I’d expect the programmers to offer something to those who are engaged in the hobby…

But as has been noted many times, astronomy and this forum are both ‘broad churches’ so there’s never likely to be a one size fits all approach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, catburglar said:

Clips of star parties at Sir Patrick’s house have nothing to do with astrophotography….oh no, wait a minute, somebody was taking a photograph
so we can include it in the show…

🥳 Got a (cheerfully irreverent?) chuckle from that one! But you raise several excellent points...
And indeed, large SCTs and TAKs! (That "Bloomin Brian Cox and his expensive LHC" thing? lol).
Hey, it's an important (and fascinating) topic - How we "interest" people in Astronomical stuff!
I sometimes worry that even "popular science" has become more of a... lifestyle thing now? 😈

Dare I suggest that some might find Astro Imaging a little intimidating... a tad... "exclusive"? 🙀
(Hey, perhaps that was another time/forum? Were I allowed a "repeat life", I'd give it a go! lol)

An odd thing, my few attempts at Afocal (I had to check) "Camera to eyepiece" photography
ended in total discouragement? Perhaps the most difficult of all types of Astrophotography?
Heheh. Reminded me: "random girl on station", who seemed unusually eager to engage me in
conversation? Apparently Arriva Trains had located her (left on train) £800(!) phone (mate)! 😏

Edited by Macavity

Come to think about it, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't cover Photometric colour calibration  or sequencing of a 12 pane mosaic, this always gives me a bit of a headache.  Dear Points of View ........

Jim 

• Haha 5

Don’t worry- they’ll cover those topics in their upcoming episode titled: “Visual astronomy before the telescope”…They’re also including archive footage of interviews with Clyde Tombaugh on the discovery of Pluto and David Malin on the application of tricolour photography techniques in astronomy…so it’ll slot in nicely