Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UK Repairs for Cgem 2

JCIdaho

Hi All,

My A/Z threads have worn through on my CGEM II and I'd like to repair it, as per this thread on CN. I've contemplated doing this myself, but I'd rather find someone UK based able to do it, given there's plenty of scope for it to go wrong.

Any recommendations / advice where to look, to find someone?

Thanks!

Jon.

Hi @Steve Ward,

I think it's safe to say, it's user error and clumsiness on my part. I turned a knob so hard it actually bent inside the thread, part frustration, and maybe it was also quite stiff. Probably not worth dwelling on. I also don't loosen the main bolt.. I will in future!

Thanks for the advice on seeking out a local engineer. Sadly I don't live near @Peter Drew!

Jon.

16 hours ago, Jon Pither said:

Any recommendations / advice where to look, to find someone?

Hi

I would suggest looking in the mirror, then going to a well known online emporium and  buying a stand to hold the drill (assuming you have a drill) and appropriate size drill bit and tap. Probably be cheaper than paying someone to do what is a very simple job and you will have the tools to do the job again! 

Adrian

• Like 1

I must admit that my cgem Az bolts drive me nuts trying to polar align, what a pathetic system and ended up looking for some sort of guidance, the landing pad looked good but I never was going to use that purely based on price, so I ended up buying a sheet of teflon on eBay and cutting out a horseshoe shape and placing between the tripod and the mount head,this gave the adequate slip to accurately polar align

The fault lies as it's stainless steel rod against a cast block, should have at least had a sleeve so the threaded rod could pass through and not cause wear on the cast body , great to see that Celestron have rectified a known fault on the original cgem and done exactly the same thing again on the cgem 11...

Mind you there's alot on the cgem that can be tinkered with and make it one far better mount than the original 

• Like 1