SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night magazine April 2009

Mark at Beaufort

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 years later...

Mark,

This response is a little late (4 years!), but I've only just seen this. Frank Ackfield was a personal friend in the early 70's. I had wanted to do an O level in astronomy, but my school did not deal with an examining board which dealt with this. They agreed to let me do the exam, if I had tuition. I discovered a basic course, held at a local university, as an evening class. The course was just a beginners' one, presented by Frank. At the end of the first session, I spoke to him, and persuaded him to write to my school, saying I was receiving tuition, even though that wasn't strictly true! He knew my knowledge already exceeded the scope of the course. We became friends, however, and whenever Frank took the class onto the building's roof, or to his observatory, (which he did on quite a number of occasions - he was very generous), I would help him point out the sights and keep the group interested. Frank died in 1975, and no, the observatory, sadly,  is no more. I got a good pass in the exam, and went on to work at the Royal Greenwich Observatory when I left school. (In Sussex then). Frank was very proud of me.

Regards.. Lynda

Hi Mark. Thanks, it brought back a few memories, as you can tell. Most of my observatory work was with the Nautical Almanac Office, reducing occultation observations from all over the world. I was also involved in the work the NAO did in predicting eclipses, occultation of radio sources & much more. All of this helped to identify improvements in the SAO/ZC star catalogues, and the moon's position, libration, etc.,  High-tech in the day! I also moonlighted for the Time Department, who then used a photographic zenith tube (PZT) to check the Earth's rotation. Long before all the satellites used today. The winter shifts were particularly arduous, doing an 8 hour shift straight after a full day's work. Time off in lieu was offered, which of course had to be spent in the land of nod the next day. Loved every minute, though.

Cheers... Lynda

This is  agreat thread about a great subject. I think it's one of the best I've ever read, for all sorts of reasons.

Olly

Could not agree more.

Welcome to SGL Lynda. Its a great example of how some people can inspire others.

Wish we could all see the episode.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I realise that this is now an old thread but I was wondering if was at all possible to get hold of a copy of the CD from the April 2009 magazine as, being born and bred in Forest Hall, I’m fascinated to see the observatory and footage!! I don’t think it’s available as a back order so was wondering if anyone could possibly help! Many thanks Paul

Archived