Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Dobsonian

nimrod 1

I just bought a used Zhumell 8” Dobsonian. The ad said “new condition” (it wasn’t), if fact when I saw the way the guy transported it to the meeting place, I almost said forget it, but the mirrors were clean and bright, so I made the purchase. (Good thing I like to tinker with things.) Anyway, last night I was looking at the moon and Saturn through it, and the detail through that thing compared to my 4se celestron is incredible. The moon was beautiful. I saw details that I could not make out with the 4”. Saturn wasn’t too different then the 4” except that I think that I could just make out the separation in the ring and I could just make out the horizontal lines on Saturn itself. Still really cool though. I have also noticed that when observing the moon, it takes much longer for the moon to move across my field of view, then with my 4”. I have just ordered a Laser collimator, a Telrad Sight Finder, secondary mirror collimation knobs, and a 2X Barlow lens, the Barlow lens is for the 4” celestron. I also purchased a Planisphere last week. 
can’t wait to get out and do some serious observation with this thing. 

Edited by nimrod 1
  • Like 2

I believe the Zhumell is the same as the (U.S.) Orion, which here is the StellaLyra, all made by GSO. They differ only in the accessories they come with. So I have the same scope (SL) and you're right: it's excellent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I believe the Zhumell is the same as the (U.S.) Orion, which here is the StellaLyra, all made by GSO. They differ only in the accessories they come with. So I have the same scope (SL) and you're right: it's excellent.

Add Apertura to that list as well.