Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to astronomy. Bought an 8" Skywatcher 200p, but having second thoughts...

49 minutes ago, Gonzo0 said:

Thank you all so much for your replies. There has been a lot for me to pick through and the help you have all given me has left me with a much better idea of what to get. 

I was set on the heritage 150p, and still am actually, however... an Orion Starblast 6/6i has came up for sale in my area. It seems to have everything the heritage does. Tabletop Dob design, small enough to fit in the passenger seat with base attached, doesn't way a ton, quite portable and no need to lower the roof! From what I've seen online too it seems pretty capable. Not sure on the intelliscope feature though. I know it's a "push-to" feature and I'm sure it'd be useful, but that's not why I'm interested in it. It seems to be a great price too at only £200, and no need to fashion a shroud. 

If someone has a good reason for me not to buy this scope I'm all ears. The heritage is still looking like a great deal and I'm sure it's just as capable. 

I should d mention also, the dark site that I use has multiple picnic benches that I plan to place the tabletop scope on. I hope that'd be good enough. For home use I am thinking just a sturdy barstool as others have suggested! 

I’ve never used (or seen) one, but it looks nice, better focuser and solid tube. If it goes in your car easily then why not. The push to will be handy. Just check mirrors are in decent condition.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve never used (or seen) one, but it looks nice, better focuser and solid tube. If it goes in your car easily then why not. The push to will be handy. Just check mirrors are in decent condition.

Yeah it doesn't look bad. Not too worried if the mirrors aren't in good condition. If they aren't then it's straight onto FLO to order the heritage and send the 8 inch Dob back. 

24 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

It was a total highlight for me being able to observe the Veil nebula with a Heritage 150p under very dark skies off the coast of Scotland last month - and I posted at the time the M13 was simply stunning - the first real world example for me of how sky quality positively impacts the view for a given aperture. 👍

I have a trip planned to the west coast of Ireland Ireland in October. The skies there are very much like the skies off the coast of Scotland. Properly dark. Bortle 2. I can't wait to bring my scope with me there. I have only looked on in wonder with my naked eye at dark sites but even that was enough to blow my mind. I had never seen the milky way the way I did that night. Trillions upon trillions of stars. Not a single cloud to be seen. I'm very glad to hear the heritage could deliver you that experience

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gonzo0 said:

I have a trip planned to the west coast of Ireland Ireland in October. The skies there are very much like the skies off the coast of Scotland. Properly dark. Bortle 2. I can't wait to bring my scope with me there. I have only looked on in wonder with my naked eye at dark sites but even that was enough to blow my mind. I had never seen the milky way the way I did that night. Trillions upon trillions of stars. Not a single cloud to be seen. I'm very glad to hear the heritage could deliver you that experience

Sounds fabulous. @Captain Scarlet is down that way, should be able to give you some pointers. Hope the skies are kind!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Sounds fabulous. @Captain Scarlet is down that way, should be able to give you some pointers. Hope the skies are kind!

Yes indeed @Gonzo0, I’m at the very southern end of the West of Ireland: very near Baltimore. If you’re going to be anywhere near I’d be happy to try to meet up. Weather of course is not so reliable though! But when clear, as you say, properly dark!

Cheers Magnus 

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Yes indeed @Gonzo0, I’m at the very southern end of the West of Ireland: very near Baltimore. If you’re going to be anywhere near I’d be happy to try to meet up. Weather of course is not so reliable though! But when clear, as you say, properly dark!

Cheers Magnus 

That would be great fun! I will be staying near Mayo but I'm sure it'd be worth a journey down near you for a night's observing 

I put my Heritage 150p on a picnic blanket, and sit next to it on the ground. I find it very comfortable. If there's a garden wall or trees in the way I prop it up on a garden table, which gives me more height (and better seeing over the wall) than an 8-inch dob on the ground would. When placed on a table this scope makes a perfect standing height, without having to hunch over. I move it around the garden all the time, even took it on the roof once – something I wouldn't be able to do as easily with an 8-inch dob. This scope is very flexible and comfortable to carry around. 

As for the Orion Starblast 6/6i option, it is heavier and bulkier (not to mention a lot more expensive) than the Heritage. If I didn't mind the bulkiness I would probably just keep the 8-inch. The Orion loses on quality to the 8-inch but also loses to Heritage in compactness and portability – it's not here not there imho

Edited by craftui
  • Like 1

Just a quick update for those that are interested.

I went ahead and ordered a Heritage 150p and a 2x Barlow. Very happy about the purchase. However, the best thing about it is that I am keeping my 8 inch Dob for home use as FLO offers a PayPal pay in 3 system which I didn't know about. That way, I only have to pay 1/3 of the price today and the rest over 3 months which is very managable for me being a student and only having part time work. I feel like I've got all I need now. I have the 8 inch Dob for home use and a 150p for grab and go travelling to dark skies which I will do often. I'm over the moon!! (pun intended)

Last night there was an hour window with good clear skies in my bortle 5 backyard.  The views were amazing I must say. It would be a shame if I were forced to get rid of the 200p, I've grown quite fond of it. Still haven't seen any DSO like nebula, galaxies, globs, but I seen a lot of double stars and the Pleiades are just amazing I could stare at it all night long, though could do with a lower power eyepiece to have it fit nicely in the FOV, but all that will come with time, and what a time it will be. 

Clear skies everyone and once again thanks for all your help and apologies if I didn't reply to everyone. I did read every comment and took every piece of advice on board.

Sláinte!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, lordwimsey said:

Maybe not as an actual advice, but I am surprised, nobody pointed to /r/miatalogistics for inspiration.  

A miata has unlimited vertical storage!

Cheers from a fellow MX5-owner (NC) with a heritage 130p.

Peter

Best of both worlds Peter. What better way to travel to dark skies than in a Miata. Health to enjoy!

• Like 1

Try for globular cluster M13 in Hercules. Should be relatively easy to see with a 20mm EP or more. M31 galaxy in Andromeda should show up nicely too, but not so much when the moon is out and about though. 200p should scoop them up nicely. Just move the 200 slowly around the area where they are and you will eventually spot them in the field of view eventually. Once you seen then once you can then normally find them easier again next etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Try for globular cluster M13 in Hercules. Should be relatively easy to see with a 20mm EP or more. M31 galaxy in Andromeda should show up nicely too, but not so much when the moon is out and about though. 200p should scoop them up nicely. Just move the 200 slowly around the area where they are and you will eventually spot them in the field of view eventually. Once you seen then once you can then normally find them easier again next etc.

I tried for m13 last night. I think I was getting the stars within Hercules confused. I just couldn't pinpoint m13. I found the finder scope that came with the 200p to be quite awkward to use but that's probably just me 

55 minutes ago, Gonzo0 said:

I tried for m13 last night. I think I was getting the stars within Hercules confused. I just couldn't pinpoint m13. I found the finder scope that came with the 200p to be quite awkward to use but that's probably just me 

Yeah, with LP identifying the right area in Hercules can be an issue. Once you identify the main part highlighted below (the main body I guess) then find the top right hand shoulder star of the body you should just be able to move the fov down a little and to the left slightly and there it will be. Hope you see it soon when skies allow. Always a nice sight in most scopes, but should sparkle in the 200 well.

C593170F-6B80-422C-9305-4C735BFEFD69.thumb.jpeg.e0eeb18b7518b8f18883ed8f23bf8ed3.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo0 said:

I went ahead and ordered a Heritage 150p and a 2x Barlow. Very happy about the purchase. However, the best thing about it is that I am keeping my 8 inch Dob for home use as FLO offers a PayPal pay in 3 system which I didn't know about. That way, I only have to pay 1/3 of the price today and the rest over 3 months which is very managable for me being a student and only having part time work. I feel like I've got all I need now. I have the 8 inch Dob for home use and a 150p for grab and go travelling to dark skies which I will do often. I'm over the moon!! (pun intended)

In fact it is the best solution, giving up an 8 "once you have bought it tightens your heart, then taking into account that in December there will be the opposition of Mars which this year is less favorable (17" this year against the 22 "coupons of October 2020 .......). I too was thinking of a second telescope easily transportable in a small car, the FLO payment facility solved the question. Good observations and, as we say in Sardinia , that you enjoy both tools with health!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo0 said:

Just a quick update for those that are interested.

Last night there was an hour window with good clear skies in my bortle 5 backyard.  The views were amazing I must say. It would be a shame if I were forced to get rid of the 200p, I've grown quite fond of it. Still haven't seen any DSO like nebula, galaxies, globs, but I seen a lot of double stars and the Pleiades are just amazing I could stare at it all night long, though could do with a lower power eyepiece to have it fit nicely in the FOV, but all that will come with time, and what a time it will be. 

Clear skies everyone and once again thanks for all your help and apologies if I didn't reply to everyone. I did read every comment and took every piece of advice on board.

Sláinte!

Great result, mate. I could see you were reluctant to get rid of the 8" but wanted the portability of the Heritage and now you'll have both, like me. I really think you won't be disappointed.

As to the EPs, there are some excellent ones around which will give you a wide FOV. Just post on here when you're ready and you'll be inundated with suggestions (again!) 😉

• Like 1

For the finder scope, my 8" came with an 8x50 RACI finder, which means you can locate targets without having to grovel on the ground. Might be an option for you when you're feeling a bit more flush....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/stellalyra-8x50-right-angled-correct-image-raci-finder-scope-with-bracket.html

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Great result, mate. I could see you were reluctant to get rid of the 8" but wanted the portability of the Heritage and now you'll have both, like me. I really think you won't be disappointed.

As to the EPs, there are some excellent ones around which will give you a wide FOV. Just post on here when you're ready and you'll be inundated with suggestions (again!) 😉

Cheers mate, thanks for your input on this post.

Oh yes, that's another can of worms ready to be opened I'm sure when the time comes 😅

As for the finder, that right angled one looks good and I can see it'd be a lot handier to use. But the problem I have with my finder isn't really anything to do with having to crouch down to get a look through it if, say, I'm trying to find something in at the zenith. It's more an issue of it being too magnified, sort of acting like it's own mini scope which can sometimes make it hard to know where exactly I'm at especially as I am trying to learn the constellations at the same time. I think something like a telrad might be better suited for me as when looking into a red dot kind of sight it doesn't black out your peripherial vision, which I think will help in aiming at the right target as I can use it just like aiming a gun or something along those lines. The circles within the telrad will also be a big help too I'm sure. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo0 said:

will look into this mike

The key to making this work is patience and getting everything lined up just so.  Once you figure it out finding stuff might take a minute ... Tops. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo0 said:

Cheers mate, thanks for your input on this post.

Oh yes, that's another can of worms ready to be opened I'm sure when the time comes 😅

As for the finder, that right angled one looks good and I can see it'd be a lot handier to use. But the problem I have with my finder isn't really anything to do with having to crouch down to get a look through it if, say, I'm trying to find something in at the zenith. It's more an issue of it being too magnified, sort of acting like it's own mini scope which can sometimes make it hard to know where exactly I'm at especially as I am trying to learn the constellations at the same time. I think something like a telrad might be better suited for me as when looking into a red dot kind of sight it doesn't black out your peripherial vision, which I think will help in aiming at the right target as I can use it just like aiming a gun or something along those lines. The circles within the telrad will also be a big help too I'm sure. 

If you get a Telrad or equivalent, leave the finder on too. A lot of folk (myself included) prefer both. Swing around till the Telrad gets you close, then the finder gets you pretty much bang on target.

• Like 3