SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 4th sept

neil phillips

Great image as usual Neil,

I actually found the low transparency was improving the seeing here in kent, was like a thin clag in the air, but the image was really stable, though had to turn the gain up a bit.

I see you have been doing some images with the 7.3CC but didn't read why you were using that when you have this 10" newt which produces better images, sorry if that sounds like silly question, I haven't had time to read through every post so probably missed the reason?

Also I need to upgrade my USB2 224c camera as its lack of speed is limiting how many frames I can capture. I have the choice of a 462 like you are using or pay a bit more for the new 662. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. Im mainly concerned with reports that the 462 has poorer colour saturation due to the different colour filters on the bayer matrix compared to the 224 and 662, presumably the did that for the increased IR sensitivity. but it doesn't appear to be an issue in your images?

Many thanks

Lee

4 hours ago, Magnum said:

Great image as usual Neil,

I actually found the low transparency was improving the seeing here in kent, was like a thin clag in the air, but the image was really stable, though had to turn the gain up a bit.

I see you have been doing some images with the 7.3CC but didn't read why you were using that when you have this 10" newt which produces better images, sorry if that sounds like silly question, I haven't had time to read through every post so probably missed the reason?

Also I need to upgrade my USB2 224c camera as its lack of speed is limiting how many frames I can capture. I have the choice of a 462 like you are using or pay a bit more for the new 662. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. Im mainly concerned with reports that the 462 has poorer colour saturation due to the different colour filters on the bayer matrix compared to the 224 and 662, presumably the did that for the increased IR sensitivity. but it doesn't appear to be an issue in your images?

Many thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Low trans and dripping wet telescopes often produce more stable air. So yes that's what i experienced too. The reason I use The 7.3 CC. I needed something that was quick and easy to setup for lunar and planetary. The 10" takes ages to setup, sometimes I just don't have that time. Or I will miss a imaging window. The telescope is also exceptionally sharp. Great powerful optics in a small package. 

Apparently there is colour leaks into the blue and red channels bleeding into one another. Though personally. I have had no serious issues.

The Camera you mention appears to be new. I don] keep up with every new release. Often it will be sometime before my attention is drawn to anything new. I dont like recommending anything I have no direct experience with. And this being such a recent release. I have no experience with at all. So you will have to do your own research. Though it has very low readout noise. A large full well capacity that's 3x larger than the 462C. It has no amp glow. Which is also  great for deepsky. Again With no direct experience. You will have to do your own research. Good luck.

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1