Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sony A7iii to OSC Camera - Is it worth the upgrade?

deanchapman2705

22 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

I think we're basically saying the same thing, but I find these things difficult to judge in text-based conversation! 😁So, just to clarify, you can get the same effect by cropping the image from the full frame sensor in post processing - you don't get any more reach with a smaller sensor, an object is just framed tighter because the smaller sensor can't "see" as much of the area of sky around the object.

Yeah I think we are haha - so you can have a full frame sensor (1x) with a 600mm FL scope and it would use the whole view of the scope. A 1" sensor (3x) using a 200mm FL scope (or lens in this case) would 'see' (FOV) the same but use a small portion of the lens to look through:

Full-frame 24mp @600mm: image.png.5821eb0368b3072f88a6df79d45c673f.png     1" 6mp @200mm: image.png.b3e94153afc5869494edb8e0818766df.png     Full-frame 2.3mp @200mm (cropped in): image.png.a76f7c31cdda95ede4c622bd1948ff9e.png

So I'm talking about comparing the first two whilst you're talking about the last two, if that makes sense? I think...

Would I be right in saying that the first one would be best in terms of image scale? But that's not an option with my budget, would need a new mount as well in terms of payload 😂

But I see why everyone is saying the 533 has a better image scale compared to the A7iii now as cropping into the same FOV makes it 2.3mp in this case.

39 minutes ago, deanchapman2705 said:

So I'm talking about comparing the first two whilst you're talking about the last two, if that makes sense? I think...

Yes, think that's the case!

41 minutes ago, deanchapman2705 said:

Would I be right in saying that the first one would be best in terms of image scale?

Not necessarily, as image scale is a function of pixel size as well as focal length, but assuming everything else was the same between the two setups, then yes, the image scale at the longer FL would be better. Whether the atmosphere would allow you to see the benefit of the finer image scale though is a whole other topic in itself!!

• Like 1