Narrowband

Canon 1000D shutter malfunction after modding! Can I fix it?

pipnina

After stripping down a Canon 1000D to remove the filters from in front of the sensor, I find the shutter doesn't work properly any more. The shutter stays closed when a long exposure is supposed to be taken, opening very briefly as the mirror flips up. If I unplug the mechanical control ribbon cable (small one on left lower side of main board) I can get the sensor to show, but it won't take pictures in this state (software shows errors). It returns to bad operation no matter what I do to try and re-adjust the shutter timings by moving the little gear wheel that's exposed on the left hand grip.

It seems a shame for the camera to break now, is it possible to correct this sort of shutter mis-timing, or even remove the shutter entirely as I don't think we need one for astro?

Cheers, I hope someone here is knowledgeable about this cam, despite its age : (

When I first reassembled mine after modding, the only sign of life was the red led briefly flashing when powering up, no shutter or display.

I stripped it again and reinserted all ribbon cables and thankfully it all worked. 

It,s a pain but I would recommend the same

6 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Possibly a ribbon not fully reinserted, did you mark a Sharpie line across the ribbons to show how far they have to be reinserted ?

Did you correctly re-insert the black pipe into the white receptacle ?

Are all the ribbons around that area inserted ?

Michael

Seems to be inserted right. I've taken a picture in it's current state, maybe you can spot something I can't?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/739157760888799263/1014933690024988832/PXL_20220901_162157057.jpg

As for operation. I took a quick video to show the problem; First I try and take bulb images with the shutter. Then I flick between live view mode and viewfinder mode. As you can see the shutter seems to flick open then shut as the mirror is moving, so the camera doesn't get any light. If you use the < and > keys on PC, you can advance the video frame by frame when paused. Doing this I can see that when a photo is taken or when switching in and out of live view, the first shutter does go up, and the sensor is visible for a single frame, then the second shutter goes up to cover it, and then the mirror comes down. All in the space of 3 video frames.

Sadly, I was not sensible enough to mark things before removing them. I figured it would be much the same as my Nikon which went through the modding process quite easily.

6 hours ago, philj said:

When I first reassembled mine after modding, the only sign of life was the red led briefly flashing when powering up, no shutter or display.

I stripped it again and reinserted all ribbon cables and thankfully it all worked. 

It,s a pain but I would recommend the same

Sadly I did much the same in removing the main board a second time, and removing the sensor as well. Nothing changed : (