SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron PS1000 Equatorial Reflector Telescope

Hi everyone, new to stargazers and have just ordered my first telescope, the Celestron PS1000 Equatorial Reflector Telescope. 
since ordering it I am have second thoughts about if it is the right one for me.

I paid £130 for it which is roughly my budget. Is it easy to use and will it show me some clear images as I really can’t find any reviews. should I keep it or send it back and get an alternative?

thanks everyone 

Not familiar with a "PS1000" from Celestron, but from what i can gather around the internet the Celestron PS1000 could refer to the Celestron powerseeker 127, which has a 1000mm focal length and is a commonly sold model. There could be some kind of clever naming scheme trickery going on from the seller as the name "powerseeker" is kind of tainted and not many who are in the hobby would recommend one.

So i have bad news, this is not a good telescope, even for the money and im afraid you will not be getting much of the clear views you had in mind. Here is a review of the scope from Ed Ting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXfR7YTF5a4

If you can, you would be better off returning that scope and getting something else for the money. For this kind of budget you're looking at a compromise of something, so really only the budget tabletop dobsonians will give you nice views.

Skywatcher Heritage 130P: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

That one is a bit more expensive than you had in mind, but not that much. This one has a proper parabolic mirror and you will get decent views of many objects in the night sky with it. In your shoes i would save up a bit more and get the 130P.

Skywatcher Heritage 100P: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

This one fits your budget too, and will be better than the Powerseeker 127 for sure. But this one is F/4 instead of F/5 so it will be harsher on budget eyepieces and will be trickier to keep in good collimation. And actually, the primary mirror is not collimatable at all, so if its out of alignment it will stay that way.

• Like 1

I’m not familiar with these scopes from an optical quality POV but from a mechanical perspective I would imagine that mount would shake like a tuning fork every time you touch the focuser. One of the tabletop models mentioned above would certainly be far more stable. We’re not trying to discourage you but merely save you from discouragement, this is one of those hobbies where it is so important to get off on the right foot in order to guarantee you’ll stay with it. Sometimes it’s best to be patient and save a little more as it will surely be more rewarding if you can do so. 

11 hours ago, Jamesnewbe said:

Hi everyone, new to stargazers and have just ordered my first telescope, the Celestron PS1000 Equatorial Reflector Telescope. 
since ordering it I am have second thoughts about if it is the right one for me.

I paid £130 for it which is roughly my budget. Is it easy to use and will it show me some clear images as I really can’t find any reviews. should I keep it or send it back and get an alternative?

thanks everyone 

Hi Jamesnewbe,

If it is indeed the Powerseeker 127, I have used this scope and it is seriously problematic. The mount is shaky and the eyepieces supplied with the scope are pretty bad. However if you learn to collimate and are very determined, you can still see a lot with this scope. You can use it to familiarize yourself with the night sky and get some idea of the kinds of objects you like to observe (for example planets vs deep sky). You can eventually discover how passionate you are about the hobby, and determine if you need to buy further accessories or a different scope in the future.

Best

Edited by beka
typo