Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7129 - The Rosebud +NGC 7142 open cluster

MartinB

I recently saw an image of this little nebula and thought it looked quite interesting as well as a bit of a challenge.

Reading through Wikipedia it certainly isn't your usual nebula.  Within it is a young  open cluster of very hot stars.  These are illuminating the surrounding dust hence the reflection nebulosity.  The heat from the stars is making some of the dust glow red.  If I had read this before hand I wouldn't have wasted my time on nearly 3 hours worth of Ha which didn't really contribute to the cause.  Apparently the  "Rosebud" is only really visible when imaging in infrared. The other appealing aspect is that it sits (line of sight) very close to an open cluster NGC 7142.  I don't normally go after targets off the beaten track but this looked worth a try.

A lovely clear moonless night (25th August)  using my SW MN190 with a ZWO 294 mono camera and chroma filters.  1 hour in each colour channel and 1hr 30 lum.  I also took 11x5 min Ha subs which enhanced the red channel a little.  

Unfortunately, when I came to collect the calibration frames the next day my camera was completely kaput :( So email sent to FLO  The immediate impact of this is that I wasn't able to calibrate the image apart from using an old dark frame.  This made processing "interesting".  Astroflat pro had a good go at sorting it out and I evened the background a bit more with a devious little dodge.

Rosebud_Nebula_Aug_2022.thumb.jpg.42099aad40cccde396d310a1a7311394.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Thanks for the link and also pointing me to NGC 1333.  I can certainly see the similarity

You're welcome, always good to see something a little different. I wonder of the rosebud will eventually open as stellar winds expel gas and dust from the centre of the nebula, and we'll see something similar to M42. Or possibly some of the obscuring dust is distant enough that it will remain obscured.