Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best camera for Astrophotography?

I really like Astrophotography, but cellphones aren't really good for taking pictures except of the moon. I was wondering what is the best camera for under $200? If you can get something good for such a low price 😅.

Also, what is the best app for editing pictures to their best?

For under $200 you'll be looking for a used DSLR I'd expect, something like a Canon 600D.

Think I got mine for around £300 on ebay, but that was from an actual electronics seller, it also came astro modified and cleaned/checked and I had something replaced (for free) within it when BULB mode stopped working. Private and unmodified should be around the £200 mark I'd imagine.

Great way to begin Astrophotography.

Best app depends on experience. You can't go wrong with apps like Photoshop(Paid), Siril(free) and GIMP(free). All popular and pretty intuitive, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube for them aswell.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

Is there anything in particular you are mostly interested in imaging? DSO or planetary/lunar?  As mentioned you will probably be looking at a used DSLR for that budget, not sure what a used planetary camera comes in at. 

What is the scope and mount you are intending to use? Others would be in a better position to comment on their suitability. 

On the software side, there is different software for DSO or planetary. +1 for Siril, it's a great bit of software.  There is a bit of a learning curve (as with everything) but there are some good tutorials out there to help, and SGL is a great place to ask those 'stupid' questions (there are no stupid questions)

good luck with your journey

I highlighted the relevent section and then selected 'quote selection'

2 hours ago, Dark Adaptation said:

Here's a rather silly question: how do you reply directly to a comment? I can't seem to find a button for it.

You can also quite a whole post, with the button at the bottom of the post you want to quote you can also @ a specific person @Dark Adaptation

DSO astrophotography usually uses multiple long exposures >30sec (upto several minutes)  these are then stacked in software and then edited further to bring out the detail.  Without a motorised mount you will probably have to limit yourself to relatively short exposures before star trailing becomes apparent (check out nebulaphotos on youtube, who has some great videos using a static tripod).  At your focal length this may be <1sec. It would be an option to consider a wide angle lens to get started with. 

If your interested in planetary, then you would be taking millisecond exposures using a video which can be done without tracking as the object moves through the field of view. Software can the extract the best frames to use for stacking. (disclaimer, I have no experience of planetary AP, and relatively little for DSOs!)