Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen GP-DX belt drive mod anyone?

rjsc2001

Hi all

I have a GPDX and wanted to mod it to put a belt drive in it. The worm is not straight and sometimes the gears are almost not touching each other.

Has anyone done it? Is there anything available out there? 

BTW, i have a ioptron GOTONOVA kit installed and the idea is just change the gears for a belt.

Thanks

No, not done that.

I do have a cosmetically challenged  GPDX, though & have belt drive converted non astro  geared stuff.

Firstly, are you sure the worm is bent?

Sometimes it's the thing atatched to it that's the problem.... for instance of two clutches in a skywatcher eq5  standard dual motor kit, one ran eccentric causing a similar problem to what you are experiencing. I've yet to make up a replacement as i only use RA drive not in any great rush

If the worm really is bent then your proposed belt mod sounds a good way to proceed.

From memory i think you want genuine 'syncroflex'  (??) branded belt, they're a bit more flexible than others i've used.

On 02/09/2022 at 23:28, SiriusB said:

No, not done that.

I do have a cosmetically challenged  GPDX, though & have belt drive converted non astro  geared stuff.

Firstly, are you sure the worm is bent?

Sometimes it's the thing atatched to it that's the problem.... for instance of two clutches in a skywatcher eq5  standard dual motor kit, one ran eccentric causing a similar problem to what you are experiencing. I've yet to make up a replacement as i only use RA drive not in any great rush

If the worm really is bent then your proposed belt mod sounds a good way to proceed.

From memory i think you want genuine 'syncroflex'  (??) branded belt, they're a bit more flexible than others i've used.

It's not the worm itself. its the "thing" where the spur gear attachs to :)