SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 27th August

neil phillips

14 minutes ago, russ said:

Those are two beautiful images Neil. Processing is stunning, so clean. And detail amazing to look at. Beautiful work.

Many thanks Russ really enjoying my astronomy again after those 5 years away from it. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dragon_Astro said:

I was out in the early hours this morning imaging Jupiter too…

If mine turns out a fraction like yours I’ll be happy :)

I also followed your tip about using a high power eyepiece to centre first, to get the planet on the small chip.

Great Stuff Dragon. will check out any posts you do. Btw did the high power eyepiece trick work ? 

4 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Many thanks Russ really enjoying my astronomy again after those 5 years away from it. Much appreciated. 

Ditto me too. Took a 7 year break and really loving it again now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kon said:

Stunning images especially the second one.

Cheers Kon the seeing has started to become more predictable i am finding. No jet stream is often a little better. Like last night. The out of focus problem seems to be getting less a issue lately. 

41 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Cheers Kon the seeing has started to become more predictable i am finding. No jet stream is often a little better. Like last night. The out of focus problem seems to be getting less a issue lately. 

Good to hear that. I am abroad on holidays and looking forward to some imaging from next week. The heatwave must have contributed to the awful conditions we had earlier.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Good to hear that. I am abroad on holidays and looking forward to some imaging from next week. The heatwave must have contributed to the awful conditions we had earlier.

Yes i agree i think it was that. Have a great holiday btw. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Great Stuff Dragon. will check out any posts you do. Btw did the high power eyepiece trick work ? 

It sure did, with a bit of practice I think it’ll be the go to.

Saved myself some £££ forking out for a flip mirror :)

1 minute ago, Dragon_Astro said:

It sure did, with a bit of practice I think it’ll be the go to.

Saved myself some £££ forking out for a flip mirror :)

It makes sense. Because its putting the planet more precisely in centre. The higher the power the more precise its centred. Anyway glad it helped

Wow Neil that is a special result from such a small scope. I would have bet money on that being from your newt.  I haven’t really been checking in on the imaging section but just saw this and am stunned.  The second one for me I think, the video derotation has really worked wonders, tbh I was sceptical of the video derotation but I’m definitely going to give it a try. 

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Wow Neil that is a special result from such a small scope. I would have bet money on that being from your newt.  I haven’t really been checking in on the imaging section but just saw this and am stunned.  The second one for me I think, the video derotation has really worked wonders, tbh I was sceptical of the video derotation but I’m definitely going to give it a try. 

Thanks Craig. Doing a star test you can see how good the optics are. GSO got a bad rap for stopping down the scope to just over 7" But over time Ive come to think it actually may have been good optical design. The worst part of a mirror is often the edge. Meade did something similar with there 7" Mak using a stopped down 8.25 primary. Its not all roses. The scope seems to produce more diffraction effects. (The Meade 7"mak did too) Jupiter does need tidying up because of it. But smaller scopes do produce more diffraction effects generally. So it is what it is. But ive seen how razor sharp this scope can be on the moon too. Razor like is a good description.  Vid de rotation needs a good laptop. Or it will crunch very slowly. But I am lazy I cant be bothered with the hassle of image de rotation. Maybe when Jupiter is past its best I could try some experiments chopping the captures into 2 minute sections and doing some image de rots. But when i think Jupiter is looking more stable and i have nailed focus. i start running off more 5min captures. for vid de rots. It suits my laziness. 

Check this moon capture Craig f12 prime focus. pin sharp

click for full size

9TH MAY CASSEGRAIN.png g.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Check this moon capture Craig f12 prime focus. pin sharp

click for full size

9TH MAY CASSEGRAIN.png g.png

Very very nice 👍🏼 You’ve got me checking out the 10” truss CC but at £3k a bit rich for my tastes…  I’m skint after buying an AZeq 6 anyway!

I think you should send that Jupiter image to FLO/GSO they should put it in their listings for the scope to show what it can do. I’ve just been looking around at Astrobin etc. for Mewlon 210 Jupiter images and haven’t seen anything that beats yours from the smaller CC at 1/3 the price. 

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Very very nice 👍🏼 You’ve got me checking out the 10” truss CC but at £3k a bit rich for my tastes…  I’m skint after buying an AZeq 6 anyway!

I think you should send that Jupiter image to FLO/GSO they should put it in their listings for the scope to show what it can do. I’ve just been looking around at Astrobin etc. for Mewlon 210 Jupiter images and haven’t seen anything that beats yours from the smaller CC at 1/3 the price. 

Cheers again Craig. i will send it to Steve. Yeah the big CC. Its something interesting isn't it. Glad your getting some gear back Craig. The imaging world will be at a loss without you in it that's for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skyhog said:

Superb image Neil. Have you ever posted your processing flow for these images? I really think you have processing nailed when I look at what you post. 

Thanks Skyhog. No i havent done that. The procedures i do. Can be a bit hap hazard. Change somewhat from image to image. And I use slightly un orthodox software. And perhaps some unorthodox procedures. As such I have never really felt comfortable telling large groups how to do anything. Though I have sometimes helped single astro friends from behind the scenes here and there. Over the years. If anyone wants to know anything specific. Ask away. And I will elaborate more. Most of it is fairly simple. And I certainly do not claim or think it is the best procedures. Not by a long shot. Its just things I have taught myself over the years. By pushing buttons. And using my eyes to see if I liked the effect. 

Appreciate the comments. 

12 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Thanks Skyhog. No i havent done that. The procedures i do. Can be a bit hap hazard. Change somewhat from image to image. And I use slightly un orthodox software. And perhaps some unorthodox procedures. As such I have never really felt comfortable telling large groups how to do anything. Though I have sometimes helped single astro friends from behind the scenes here and there. Over the years. If anyone wants to know anything specific. Ask away. And I will elaborate more. Most of it is fairly simple. And I certainly do not claim or think it is the best procedures. Not by a long shot. Its just things I have taught myself over the years. By pushing buttons. And using my eyes to see if I liked the effect. 

Appreciate the comments. 

Keep doing it, that's all I can say.... 

Unorthodox software... Sounds intriguing.. 😁

• Like 1