Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

We all love a bargain but what are the risks?

Franklin

I love astro gear and I especially like finding old, vintage items at a knockdown price, I think we all do. The build quality of stuff from yesteryear just seems more solid than more modern offerings. However, it has struck me that those of us who are happy to purchase these "vintage goodies" are actually running quite a risk. I'm not talking about a few dings or scratches and I can even put up with an accumulation of dust and dirt which can always be cleaned. The risk I'm talking about is cross-contamination of fungal spores. I've often seen vintage eyepieces being sold and they clearly show in the photos the presence of fungus on or in the lenses. Indeed some ads even state this condition, being honest and transparent but I have never seen any warning about the risks of cross-contamination. Even if you were to clean up and treat with UV light there may still be microscopic spores still present, we then proceed to place this "diseased glass" inside our lovely new telescopes which have "off the shelf" super clean optics and introduce these fungal micro spores into the optical environment. This is something that I have stopped doing and in future I will keep older equipment for use in older scopes and keep all of that stuff well away from my clean gear.

It's the same with camera lenses and also binoculars, but the thing to realise is that spores are everywhere anyway. As soon as you open a port (focuser, camera lens cap etc) then fungal spores can enter and probably have. The transference might happen if using an item that already has it but should be no worse. Keeping them clean and dry and storage with silica gel or other dessicant would slow the fungus developing, also treating with UV or dismantle for a full deep clean before using might be a good thing. There are anti-fungal sachets about that can be used in camera bags etc, tho not seen any for sale in the UK.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

One more good reason for buying a reflector.    🙂

does fungus not attack the mirrors in the way it can the optical glass and coatings? Serious question as I've not seen that anywhere other than on some mirror/reflex lenses for cameras.

• Like 1

oh the other thing to realise is that any system that extends and collapses, think zoom lens and eyepieces and maybe even focusers, will push air out/pull air and hence spores in. Lubrication in the mechanism would trap a portion of that, but depending on the grease may well feed the monster if conditions are right. Best to use synthetic greases when overhauling to reduce the potential.

• Like 1