Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

beginner/intermediate equipment

I have $1,000 for a telescope and tripod. I would like to see the planets and stars and nebulaes up close to see the craters on the moon also Is there such a telescope for this in my price range and that can take me into intermediate?

A 6 inch SCT? If you can buy one used this will allow funds for a decent mount and tripod like an eq5/az5. The ability to see nebula will greatly be dependent on your light pollution levels. If you're buying new, you might have to get a 4 inch for your budget. The Celestron Nexstars with XLT coatings are good all rounders but scts in general are for zoomed in close views, you won't be able to see larger star fields though a 6.3x focal reducer will shorten the focal length a little. Otherwise something like an 80mm refractor though you won't have as close a view an sct provides. If it's your first scope a 6-8 inch dobsonian may be best as it's a good in between.

You did not mention your storage options, transportation options, where you'd be observing from, mobility issues that might affect lifting/bending, etc.  Are you comfortable learning the sky or will you insist on electronic finding aids?  Just about any scope will show the moon and planets.  To see the planets in more detail with require a larger aperture.  Nebula also tend to benefit from more aperture.  Don't overlook open and globular star clusters.  They don't look that exciting in images; but to the human eye, they are like well lighted, twinkling diamonds on black velvet.  Again, aperture allows the smaller ones to be resolved instead of just appearing as a fuzz patch.

There are all sorts of 6" to 8" Dobsonian mounted Newtonians out there that would get you started for the least outlay, leaving more money for eyepieces and other accessories.

Since you're in Utah, I suggest checking with US retailers like Orion USA, Astronomics, OPT, Telescopes.net (Woodland HIlls), High Point Scientific, and Agena Astro to see what's in stock at the moment.  Avoid buying astro gear from big box retailers, Amazon, and ebay until you really know what you're doing (~5+ years in the hobby).  Trust me on this.