Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap tripod hack.

Dave Lloyd

I use an old eq1/2 aluminum tripod with my star adventurer. As has been said on here these have flimsy clamp bolts and the brittle plastic housings eventually break. The rest of the tripod is substantial enough for the load I put on it. Faced with the prospect of spending £75+ on a replacement I opted for these, quick release ratchet clamps -  £9.99 for a set of 4 from a well known river themed online retailer (others no doubt available). Although they look a bit clunky they certainly do the job of keeping the tripod extended where you want it whilst carrying the SA, camera and assorted add ons. 

IMG_20220826_094457_9.jpg

IMG_20220826_094446_7.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good idea, I have a broken section on one of my eq1 legs and currently use a small jubilee clip to stop the bottom of the leg sliding up into the top part, but this looks like a good fix and quicker to adjust tripod height.

• 3 months later...

Another cheap tripod hack…

A 0.965” & 1.25” e/p & filter tray from an EQ1/2 [or other] tripod that conveniently attaches to the end my Manfrotto 055PROB tripod centre column using the included triangular 3/8” adapter plate.

IMG_0734.thumb.JPG.7a13f89a3c7ab5f6dfea068d1d0c1e80.JPG

It’s just the thing for those ‘grab & go’ or lightweight travel sessions.

Edited by Philip R