Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A short summer session

23. August 2022: Langhus, Norway (60°N, 11°E) – Bortle 6 - Seeing and transparency: Pickering 6-8/Magnitude 4.3

Equipment: 72mm doublet, Az-gti, 32mm Plossl, Baader mark IV zoom, Tele Vue 3-6mm zoom

This was my first noteworthy session in years. I’ve decided to keep things simple going forward; just a bit of double star observing right by my house. The weather was nice and cool at 15° C, and the conditions were surprisingly good. This was the first session at my new house, and I found a decent spot about 100m away, which gave a nice view from north through east all the way to south. Since the planets where up, I started out with Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, and Saturn. A glorious beginning. I then moved on to the doubles.

Mizar (SAO 28738) Mag: 2.23, 3.95, Sep: 14”, PA: 153°

Started out with a pretty one.  I’m rusty, so I didn’t record at what magnification I got the split, but the view was delightful in everything from the 32 mm Plossl (13x) to the full range of the Baader zoom (up to 54x). it is annoying that quite a few doubles are missing in SkySafari. Mizars companion is a noteworthy star with a magnitude of almost 4, but still it doesn’t show up. Sad.

Almach (SAO 37734) Mag: 2.17, 5.02, Sep: 9.4”, PA: 63°

Ah, Almach. Such a splendid sight. It’s a K3 star, with a color index of +1.39 (orange), but it looks mostly yellow to me, with a hint of orange. The other component is a B8V, and its pale white. Can’t remember the split here either. Not a lot going on around it, even with the 32mm and it’s 3,7° FOV.

59 Andromedae (SAO 55330) Mag: 6.1, 6.7, Sep: 16.6”, PA: 36°

A little to the south this nice pair is found. Quite sure I split this at 21x? Both white to my eyes.

SAO 73956 - Mag: 8.3, 8.6, Sep: 33.2”, PA: 224°

For some reason these two appears to be closer than 33.2”, but perhaps it is because they are fainter than the rest I viewed this evening. They are listed as yellow, but mostly appear white. While the 32mm is in, I see a couple of stars due north who look like they could be a double. After checking SkySafari they are identified as SAO 53820 and SAO 53821: not a double. While looking at them I again discovery two new stars due north looking like a double, so I slew to them as well: SAO 53825 and SAO 53827. They are not a double, but SAO 53827 has a close companion on it’s own! At sep 1.8” it should be possible in my scope, but I can’t get it. Conditions might be slightly worsening. SAO 53825 appears yellow (registered as orange-red), while the other one is white. It’s always nice to deviate from the “script” and just enjoy what the skies gives you!

I wrap it up, satisfied with the first proper sessions in ages.

Edited by grjsk
  • Like 2

Nice report.

On the lack of Mizar's companion in Skysafari, this was reported some time ago I think, but is fixed in the catalogue shipped with version 7, at least:

Screenshot_20220826-103119.png.5df1ebe87c9a7adfb726bb748397be2d.png

Actually, the information on multiple stars has been improved in v7* by the addition of a new "Components" section:

Screenshot_20220826-103201.thumb.png.deeedebc79eee5f88e078ffa64656983.png

* [EDIT - no, it's nothing to do with the v6>v7 move, see post below]

Edited by Zermelo
Added comment at end
  • Like 2

I have the same information about components in my v6, but there seems to something that doesn't add up. This is how it looks to me:

image.png.8256affaa68976cc832a08a6420effb7.png

But the B component is listed as 0.8" away, while it is 14.4" away, like in this picture from Sky and Telescope:

image.png.1cc267127228aff504c612b028849ddc.png

I see what you mean. Yes, the pictoral view in Skysafari seems to be wrong, I see the same thing. But the component list in the information section seems to be correct.

In fact, this has already been reported to Simulation Curriculum, and they have an open ticket:https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115010570708-SkySafari-6-Pro-Angular-Separation-of-Mizar-A-B

btw, on the versions of Skysafari, I had assumed that I gained the "components" section as a result of upgrading from v6 to v7, but as you point out, it does exist in v6 also. I was confused because I had simultaneously gone from the "Plus" edition to the "Pro" edition, and it's that that gives you the components.

• Like 1