Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m27

alacant

Hi everyone

The Dumbbell with a bit of the outer halo showing.

This is around 3 1/2 hours using a UHC filter and processed HOO. Not sure if there's much more to be had;  DSLR users, do post if you have any experience of what to expect.

Almost tempted to hit the  ruin  denoise button, but managed to resist!

Cheers and thanks for looking.

700d on pn208 siril 1.1.0 startools 1.8.525-2

1614277501_1-27(1)_02.thumb.jpg.c570a61571a07203cf6cd6816b754c36.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 15

Very nice indeed. Zooming in on this, the star field is processed perfectly.

I definitely don't think denoise would have added anything to it, more likely it would have done the exact opposite.

Edited by nephilim
  • Thanks 1

The level of detail in the centre is amazing!  I've been trying this one over the last few weeks and have got nowhere near that.  Do you need a UHC filter to have a hope?  Or just more skill and/or better equipment than I've got 😀?

Here's what just under 3 hours of integration got me with my unmodded Canon 550D, Explorer 130-PDS and a bit of Siril.

M27-4.thumb.jpg.89cb5b961619567d424165e3fc6ef117.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stefan73 said:

Here's what just under 3 hours of integration got me with my unmodded Canon 550D, Explorer 130-PDS and a bit of Siril.

The red elements seem to have been lost/reduced here. Feel free to post your stacked Fits file here and folk can look at the art of the possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stefan73 said:

Do you need a UHC filter

Hi

We don't think the equipment counts that much. Far more important is to have clear nights with steady seeing so that you can get accurate guiding.

The filter is certainly not needed; we prefer as little glass as possible, but in this case, the UHC seems to concentrate the blue/green of planetary nebulae without it looking unnatural. Certainly better than the new generation (read €silly!) multi pass filters. It also allows you to isolate and recombine the colour channels. To get any red though, you'll need to remove your 550d's  hot mirror.

Otherwise, wait for good seeing and just keep adding frames. The longer, the better; the detail will begin to emerge. IIRC, we used ~8 minutes.

Cheers, thanks for posting and do post back your results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

red elements

Probably, yes.  I'm certain that will be down to differences in eyesight and patience.

For inspiration, we looked at Google images. It seems anything goes. Take your pick!

Screenshot_20220825_175057.thumb.png.bbd04866e6085b1d29eb7fcf3ea0494c.png

Edited by alacant

18 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

The red elements seem to have been lost/reduced here. Feel free to post your stacked Fits file here and folk can look at the art of the possible.

Here's what Siril gave me.  I did spend ages trying to bring out more red but, given it's an unmodded 550D, it might just really not be there.  I'd certainly be really interested in what better processors can squeeze out of it.

25 minutes ago, alacant said:

Otherwise, wait for good seeing and just keep adding frames. The longer, the better; the detail will begin to emerge. IIRC, we used ~8 minutes.

It's still high in the sky so I'll definitely be adding on future clear nights and see if it evolves...  That stack was only from 45s subs unguided and while, I'm close to getting guiding reliably working now, 8 minutes on my overloaded eq-3 might be pushing it!  I'll try some longer subs when I'm happy with the guiding and see how that improves things.  Thanks for the pointers.

result.fit

1 hour ago, Stefan73 said:

I'll definitely be adding on future clear nights

Yes. Absolutely.

There's loadsa detail already:

result1.thumb.jpg.ad2bb25fc465725c7aa5921a50cb3923.jpg

But be careful with the camera orientation. Best to leave the camera attached to the telescope to avoid rotation..

Screenshot_20220825_192441.thumb.png.a2c8f572102d0e681a282f5104058b8b.png

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1