Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular numbers?

Leegsi

So the higher the number the better?

Not necessarily. As with all things astronomical, magnification isn't the most important factor. Anything above 10x is very hard to hold still, so you'll need some sort of mount or tripod.

I use 8 x 56s. These are great for stargazing.

If you divide the aperture by the magnification, it gives you the exit pupil size. This should be as high as possible, but above 7mm is not useful as it's larger than the maximum human pupil size and so the extra light is wasted.

As a rule, the larger the exit pupil, the brighter the image.

Could I just say that useful exit pupil size depends on your dark adapted pupil size.

In my late 50's,anything over 5mm is not much good to me. Now,if I was in my 30's,then 7mm would be about right.

10x50's are a good binocular to own. I do sometimes struggle at 10x magnification to hold them steady. So,I also have a pair of 8x42's (5.25mm exit pupil) when I get Caffeine shake :-)

Glen.

Hi - big is not necessarily better with lens size either, as larger lens mean more glass and bigger binos, hence more weight. This means that they are difficult to hold up for more than a short period of time without neck and shoulder strain.

I have just got some 9x63mm and this is just about the maximum for me with weight and size. I was surprised how much bigger 63mm binos were compared to 50mm. (Although they don't weigh that much more.)

Ed

The 70mm aperture is very good for astro use. I'm not sure about the power though, the FOV might be a little restrictive thereby eliminating the main benefit of bins in the first place I'd have thought. I've got 10x50's which are good and light, and 15x70's which reveal more but need a tripod for any long viewing sessions.

Just something about using two eyes for widefield views. I have tried a bino viewer a few years ago and couldn't get on with it for some reason.

Is there a scientific word for binocular lovers :)

No doubt we can have a lttle fun with the suggestions. Well,not all the suggestions :)

Glen.

I use 8 x 56s. These are great for stargazing.

If you divide the aperture by the magnification, it gives you the exit pupil size. This should be as high as possible, but above 7mm is not useful as it's larger than the maximum human pupil size and so the extra light is wasted.

As a rule, the larger the exit pupil, the brighter the image.

That's useful. Thanks for that ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just imaginge someone with that binocular "rig" wandering (enthusiastically!) around an SGL campsite on a dark night! The person would be very popular!

I thought the whole essence of "Binocular" astronomy was for the observer to have the ultimate in a "Grab-and-Go" instrument - or am I missing something!!

Regards,

philsail1

I built the contraption yesterday evening and tested it out with two friends. They are complete beginners to the hobby and they managed to find the Beehive cluster. It certainly cuts out the higher wobble frequencies.

No aches and pain so far! I think I might "mould" it a bit at the shoulders and add some padding. Also, the pivoting slab is too tall and needs cutting back and I need to sort out a proper threaded rod to go all the way from one of the parallel bars to the other with wingnut fasteners at the ends.

Archived