Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Expanse Re-visited

5 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

The Morpheus were a reasonable price when I bought my 14mm. Not now.

It depends how you compare them. I have two Pentax XWs, which are fine EPs, but my Morphs are better and cheaper.

8 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

It depends how you compare them. I have two Pentax XWs, which are fine EPs, but my Morphs are better and cheaper.

I can't recall what I paid for my Morpheus now. The range were relatively new though. I think they've gone up disproportionally. 

I paid $181 for my 14mm Morpheus in 2016 and $158 for my 9mm Morph in 2018.  I paid $217 for my 7mm Pentax XW and $226 for my 3.5mm XW in 2012.  I recall paying about $229 for each of my 14mm and 5.2mm Pentax XLs in 1998.  I also recall paying $300 for my 10mm Delos in 2011 or 2012.  So, overall for me at least, the Morpheus were the cheapest of the three 70-something degree LER eyepiece lines.  Now, the Morpheus are $299, the Pentax XW are $269 (for now), and the Delos are $387.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Pentax £279, Morpheus £237, Delos £349.

That does make the Delos look very expensive. I guess Pentax are produced I. Higher quantities because they are not just for Astro, still a lot of eyepiece for the money. I have Pentax 3.5, 5, 7 and 10mm, then 12.5 and 17.5mm Morpheus.

Baader eyepieces..... Here the border on myth.  I have seen one in the last year and a half.  Everyone knows about them, but you never see anyone using them. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Baader eyepieces..... Here the border on myth.  I have seen one in the last year and a half.  Everyone knows about them, but you never see anyone using them. 

Hmmm, I have a Baader Hyperion 8mm modular which, I believe, covers 4.3 - 21.8mm, but have not used it in four years because it is in France. It's far better than any other eyepiece I have.

Why do you think you are seeing no-one using them?

I really dont know why.  Its just an observation.  Brands you don't see: Baader, Pentax, Vixon. Brands you do see: Tele Vue, ES, Celestron, Orion, and a mess of under 50 dollar eyepieces used for outreach.   The last time i went over to the observatory i looked at every eyepiece i could find, not one Baader.  If i were to speculate I would have to guess that in some cases it is as simple as a 2 inch 14mm vs a 1.25mm.  2 inches will almost always give you more light to the eye.  Its no different then my rifles scopes.  The bigger the tube diameter and objective end the more light to the eye (as a rule of thumb, there are other variables).   Eventually i will find a 14mm Baader to compare to my Orion branded Long Perng 14mm.  

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

I really dont know why.  Its just an observation.  Brands you don't see: Baader, Pentax, Vixon. Brands you do see: Tele Vue, ES, Celestron, Orion, and a mess of under 50 dollar eyepieces used for outreach.   The last time i went over to the observatory i looked at every eyepiece i could find, not one Baader.  If i were to speculate I would have to guess that in some cases it is as simple as a 2 inch 14mm vs a 1.25mm.  2 inches will almost always give you more light to the eye.  Its no different then my rifles scopes.  The bigger the tube diameter and objective end the more light to the eye (as a rule of thumb, there are other variables).   Eventually i will find a 14mm Baader to compare to my Orion branded Long Perng 14mm.  

I totally agree that the view through a 2" is superior. I used to keep my Baader in my camera case, but somehow it got left in France. Now that you have me thinking about this, I want it back. I'm sure I recall that I could use it as a focal extender and I could do with that right now.

22 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I totally agree that the view through a 2" is superior. I used to keep my Baader in my camera case, but somehow it got left in France. Now that you have me thinking about this, I want it back. I'm sure I recall that I could use it as a focal extender and I could do with that right now.

Sorry i don't mean to make anyone think