SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Expanse Re-visited

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

Mike's 2" EPs are the Orion branded version of what's sold here as StellaLyra  (Long Perng) 80° LER/UWA. I have the 20mm and it's superb.

The best Morpheus is said to be the 17.5mil. I can't confirm this as I'm already sorted for that f/l, but I can say my 12.5, 9 and 6.5 are excellent.

I'm tempted by the 17.5mm now ... counts pennies ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

I'm tempted by the 17.5mm now ... counts pennies ...

I've never heard a word said against it....😉

Yes, there are EPs with larger fields of view but I've found the Morph one to be ideal.

Edited by cajen2

12 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I almost bankrupted myself buying two scopes and six good-quality EPs (plus a couple of average ones).. The difference is that they are used all the time.

I have mobility issues, so I get out with what I can. TBH I can spend hours outside with an ST80 and a couple of GSO EP's. 

mao6D9Sl.jpg

Mmm, I've often considered an 80mil refractor on a lightweight go-to mount for grab & go but it would set me back about £1k all up, so it's not happening. My SW Heritage Flextube 150p is very light and portable, so it'll do me.

3 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Mmm, I've often considered an 80mil refractor on a lightweight go-to mount for grab & go but it would set me back about £1k all up, so it's not happening. My SW Heritage Flextube 150p is very light and portable, so it'll do me.

It's amazing how the money adds up.

wAYd3S7l.jpg

This is my 'cheap' 80mm short tube achromat set-up. Throw in a mount and a tripod and even this lot must be pushing a grand.

8 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Yes, that's what I calculated. I suppose the mount for something that small needn't be huge, but as you say, it all adds up.

I use an AZ5, present price £265. The Orion ST80 was about a hundred quid, £270 including the GSO focuser. The 2" SuperView around 60 quid (I'm sure I paid more). The diagonal about £100. The other eyepieces must total £150 at least. 

Edited by Zeta Reticulan

I haven't tried the 17.5mm Morpheus, but my 9mm Morph is nearly the equal of my 10mm Delos, so I can highly recommend it.  I've been hard pressed to justify getting the 17.5mm Morph when I already have the 17mm ES-92 and NT4.  Yes, it would be 1.25", but almost all of my scopes handle 2" eyepieces just fine.

5 minutes ago, apaulo said:

the morphs are great e/ps i just need the 12 to complete the set. unfortunately most but not all retailers keep putting the price up, because they know we will pay it. nothing to do with baader. just greed.

The Morpheus were a reasonable price when I bought my 14mm. Not now.