SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO ASI224MC Vs Altair GPCAM2 290C

DeanSL

For various reasons I've not been able to devote time for a few years, but am now looking to get going again.  Obviously already looking at upgrades 😁.  I've got a Celestron C8N and am looking to do a bit of planetary and some DS.  First upgrade I think will be the camera, (other options were changing out the R &P focuser or upgrading from enhanced motor drive to the synscan one on my CG5).  

Currently using a converted webcam,  but looking at the two on the title as they are similar priced,  I think the Altair is the one I might go for but want to hear others opinions.  Might use for guidong later if I can fit it to the 9 x 50 finder scope and my daughter let's me use her Canon 😁). 

Edited by DeanSL

I think you mean the Altair 290c? The main difference between those two is that the asi224 is a USB3 camera and so you’ll get faster frame rates than the GPCAM2 which is a USB2 camera. For planetary imaging high frame rates are key.

Altair do a GPCAM3 290c which is USB3 and so that would be a good choice. I used to have the mono version of this one and it was a great camera. Also had the Altair 224c and that was a good un too. 

Edited by CraigT82

• DeanSL changed the title to ZWO ASI224MC Vs Altair GPCAM2 290C
45 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

I think you mean the Altair 290c? The main difference between those two is that the asi224 is a USB3 camera and so you’ll get faster frame rates than the GPCAM2 which is a USB2 camera. For planetary imaging high frame rates are key.

Altair do a GPCAM3 290c which is USB3 and so that would be a good choice. I used to have the mono version of this one and it was a great camera. Also had the Altair 224c and that was a good un too. 

Yes,,  thank you I did mean 290, I've  now changed it. I did see the USB3 version,  but it's a bit more exoensive

2 hours ago, Elp said:

The ZWO 224mc is a decent camera, my profile pic was taken with it, you'll need an IR cut filter to take true colour images with it.

I was originally looking at the ZWO to buy,  then came across the Altair,  both seem to have happy owners.  Thought I might have found somewhere or someone comparing them on the net,  but not found anything.!

I've also got the ZWO 290 though mines the mini mono version so can't really compare them together. What I would say is the mono is much more sensitive and finds more guidestars when guiding, the slight increase in resolution is also slightly beneficial.

10 hours ago, DeanSL said:

I was originally looking at the ZWO to buy,  then came across the Altair,  both seem to have happy owners.  Thought I might have found somewhere or someone comparing them on the net,  but not found anything.!

I have the ASI224mc and happy with it. The only difference I could spot was the included wideangle lens on the ZWO. At the moment due to discount offered by ZWO these are cheaper than Altair

Edited by AstroMuni