Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1 minute ago, Mandy Richardson said:

Hi I have a skywatcher 360pds any tips or advice would be great I am very new to this 😁

I have gone from a small telescope to this amazing but huge telescope. 

Thank you Mandy

IS it a Skywatcher 300 PDS? I can't find anything on what you have listed.

The 300 PDS is amazing. I have a 250P and a 200P. Both are good, but yours is even better. You'll want some nice dark skies to get the best out of that.

From another Mandy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Richardson said:

I think I've just added photo just finding my way around site, mine is a 360pds 😁 I'm in South East we have amazing skies here so hope to figure out how to use it lol

Well, it is on an equatorial mount, so you'll need to learn how to polar align it. But, there are plenty of people in here who can tell you how to do that. Looking at the small cardboard boxes on your table, I assume you have 10 mm and 25 mm eyepieces for it. The 25 mm is good, but the 10 mm is generally said to be poor. Anyway, you'll want to start with the 25 mm as it will give you a wider field of view and make the scope easier to point.

Probably the first thing to do is align the finderscope with the main telescope, which is best done in daylight by pointing the scope at something more than about a mile away (a church spire or similar is great) and getting the tip of the spire centred in the field of view in both the main scope and finderscope by adjusting the alignment screws around the finderscope.

From your photo, it looks more like a 130P to me. Have a look at the link below and see what I mean. Where did you get the 360PDS designation from? Is it on the tube?

https://www.picstop.co.uk/sky-watcher-telescopes/sky-watcher-explorer-130p-telescope.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJ7N2Kfd-QIVjMx3Ch36iAObEAQYASABEgKKb_D_BwE

• Thanks 1

not sure what a 360 is in terms of the mirror but the mount and scope look exactly like my SW130EQ2?
Any chance of a pic of the info sticker, usually under or near the focuser?

Polar aligning for visual you only need to be roughly right and that mount won't have a polar scope anyway so that's the best you can achieve. Worth considering getting the clockwork drive or RA motor for it so you can leave the scope to follow the target once you have it in the eyepiece, much more relaxed operationally 🙂

Plenty of vids on youtube on how to use an EQ so worth a watch of a few and have a play in daylight to see how it works

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you do decide to look at the RA motor here's the options:

Clockwork drive kit:

Sky-Watcher RA Motor Drive & Multi-Speed Handset for EQ-2 | First Light Optics

Skywatcher RA Motor Drive For EQ2 With Multi Speed Handset - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

and the basic RA motor

RA Single Speed Motor Drive for EQ-2 | First Light Optics

Note that they only motorize one axis (RA) so the control box on the forst option doesn't get you remote control of up/down/left/right 😉 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1

If you're just doing visual I found using an EQ mount quite cumbersome to use, switching to an alt az will make it much easier.

If you're planning on imaging then you'll need to motorise the RA axis, though it is possible to use the slow motion cables, but you'll need a sturdier tripod to minimise vibration.

The size of the scope looks decent to get good views with, think you'll be pleasantly surprised from the prior kit. If you haven't started getting more premium eyepieces may be worth to start looking.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

@Elp what is it about these alt/az mounts that some seem to advocate their use? They have NO advantages over an equ mount. I keep seeing posts that beginners cannot use an eq mount.. Why? Are people of the last few generations unable to understand how an eq mount functions? shudders...

60 years ago when at the ripe old age of 15 I made my first scope, grinding the mirror and fabricating an equatorial mount from BS shaftings and water pipe fittings etc etc etc.... This was not uncommon.

Quite seriously, I do wonder if the modern generations are able to do anything for themselves other than push a few computer buttons! I am obviously a dated antique past its use by date 🙂 Oh well not many years left in this relic from the past.... 🙂  Which may be a blessing...

• Like 5

I'd say learn it and with an RA motor enjoy the easy (lazy) viewing as it does the tracking work for you. But worst case, set the latitude to zero or 90 and use it alt/AZ, no other purchase needed.

PS - if you find it wobbly when focusing, you could try find a TASCO 1603EF motor focuser, I imported a couple from the US for £10 or so each a while back, no hand focusing, no wobbles 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SthBohemia said:

what is it about these alt/az mounts that some seem to advocate their use?

I guess it just makes more sense for the average person who has spent a lifetime within 3d space (up is up, down is down etc) that alt az works better for them, especially a beginner. If they're experienced in viewing then EQ mode by all means is a route to follow, but might not be the easiest for point and go for starting off.

I've seen many videos, forum posts and personal experience that setting circles on mounts just aren't accurate enough to use, especially the more affordable ones as they're not large enough and the mechanicals are not accurate enough for pointing accuracy, in particular when searching for dim DSO targets which you can't even see directly and have to use averted vision. It's better to use an alt az and star hop. Good point the EQ head can be adjusted to right angles and used in alt az application.

As with anything in life experience is invaluable whether it be from work, education a pastime etc. Use technology where it's beneficial, and use traditional methods when that's more beneficial.

• Like 1

I think of the little setting circles on most scope are just trim pieces, for sure almost no useful value to the user 🙂 

First real scope I got was an EQ and its not so hard to learn IMHO, sure a bit fiddly to work out how to set up onto target the first few times but like driving or riding a bike you soon get the hang of it. Then you reap the benefit on non-goto's that its much easier to track the target just using the RA control or with a motorised RA, no intervention at all. No need for expensive wide FoV eyepieces if the target remains mostly centred either 😉 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 19:24, SthBohemia said:

They have NO advantages over an equ mount.

Having used a 200p on an EQ mount, I completely disagree. Newtonians for visual on an EQ mount are a real pain. The eyepiece and finder ends up in all manner of weird positions.

• Like 2

I have to agree with Dave that EQ mounts are not hard to learn or use even for a first time beginner. 

When I began viewing it was with a EQ mount with nobody to give instruction and I was good after 15-20 minutes. 

The only advantage I have found over the years is that you can just walk out and your ready to go with a Az/ Alt mount. 

For G&G a Az/ Alt is great but for tracking a object the EQ is the way to go. 

With a newtonian on a EQ mount, if you place the focuser straight up, 95% of the time it will be in a useable position.

The other 5% will be in a awkward position and likely the objects you want to see most but that is just Murphy stopping for a visit. :)

Also it is quite easy to make a set of rotation stops so you can spin the tube easily inside the rings if you are using a large newtonian. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the trick Gabby, I bought an extra set of tube rings dirt cheap so with one set above the focuser end ring on the mount you simply don't clamp the mount rings fully when using the scope and its an easy rotate to get the focuser in a comfy position when needed. I also use that ring to carry the starsense explorer retro-fit for easy locating of stuff on the EQ mounted scopes which works fine too 🙂 

• Like 2