Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom eye piece choice help

White9870

I have looked through the Celestron, the Orion branded version of the SL and the Baader.  Without question the Baader is the superior eyepeice when compared to the other two.  It is significantly better then the Celestron and a half step better then the SL.  It has those positive stops at the various focal lengths.  Most people like it, i didn't care for it.  As to the is it worth it?  Its a good eyepiece.  If the SL/Orion version wasn't available I would have bought one.  As i remember there was 50 or 100 dollars price difference between the two at the time and to me it wasn't worth it, but ultimately it is up to you. 

I think a lot of it boils down to what you do with the zoom. The BHZ and Pentax XL are probably the best for general observing. But some of the others on the market are more than adequate for planetary viewing or splitting doubles IMO. I have a collection of zooms, some expensive, some not so, they all get used.