Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transmission curve for a NIKON APS-C astro modification?

Groen81

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a camera on it's way home from a astro modification done by fullspectrumUK.com. I sent the camera there for modification because I found the option for modification in Europe. It's actually hard to find this service, and I didn't want to do it my self. I ordered the astro-modification. It's to the best of my knowledge a removal of all filters making it full spectrum and then adding UV/IR cut filter (probably the same offered for Canon mods).

I have asked multible times, but the contact at the company (Thomas) is less than customer friendly. I'd like to know the curve as I plan to add other filters depending on location and type of object. Therefore I like to know the curve beforehand.

Not ideal situation, but as mentioned, not many options for modification of this particular model in Europe. So if anybody can shed some light on it I'd be very happy. Thank!

Martin.

Not sure what you are after?

If you want to know response curve for replacement UV/IR cut filter - then it is safe to say that it looks like this:

image.png.b6e733a135152831d93372cd3412df8a.png

Most astronomical UV/IR cut filters are like that (red line) - about 90-95% over 400-700 range. Pretty flat looking with steep edges.

This is what I'm after. 

I'm expecting it to look like that. Only I don't know if the company use a Baader filter or something else. I was hoping somebody had better luck than me and got a curve from the company. But this is very fine. They have written "if cuts off right after Halpha", so this is rather typical. This is also how the UV/IR filters on my OSC from ASI works (that actually IS Baader).  

thanks.

If you examine UV/IR curves from others - you'll see that they are pretty much standard in how they look.

image.png.36a6dc3c5b15efce4c0e254e1d60aec3.png

image.png.61f4447df2e450a62b904a68a3869b73.png

ZWO:

image.png.41055072d5d24429e8ed02a919b6735b.png

So, whatever manufacturer of actual filter - you'll get curve that looks like one of the above.

5 hours ago, vlaiv said:

If you examine UV/IR curves from others - you'll see that they are pretty much standard in how they look.

image.png.36a6dc3c5b15efce4c0e254e1d60aec3.png

image.png.61f4447df2e450a62b904a68a3869b73.png

ZWO:

image.png.41055072d5d24429e8ed02a919b6735b.png

So, whatever manufacturer of actual filter - you'll get curve that looks like one of the above.

Although as above there can be quite allot of variability in the blue cut of a UV / IR filter. 

However a full spectrum modification is most likely to use a Astromonik Clear Glass anti reflection filter as opposed to a UV/IR cut filter. In which case you need to also apply a UV/IR cut. the question you need to ask them is are they removing original filters from the camera (in a full spectrum mod they should be.

Adam 

Adam