Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bespoke DIY telescope cover?

kbrown

Looking for ideas for a telescope cover. Has anyone made one? What garment/material did you use?

I'm toying with the idea of designing and sewing one together to cover all of this with some weatherproof material:

IMG_20220821_143222.thumb.jpg.a271135b2124f69865fd1032cd6543e0.jpg

I have seen some commercial covers available but they're rather expensive and I have no idea whether they would fit. I do have a heavy duty (good enough for denim/leather etc) sewing machine so I'm tempted to make use of it and go creative...

Edited by kbrown

I’ve used a double survival bag in the past during star parties. Probably the cheapest solution if you are only leaving your kit outside for a few nights. 

https://www.outdoorlook.co.uk/highlander-double-survival-bivi-bag-hig1054?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4OKzx-bY-QIVDOztCh0XxgdzEAQYBSABEgIULvD_BwE#236=8950&235=3811?CATARGETID=720011260000287579&cadevice=m

John

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I have made & use my own, using heavy duty waterproof material, but they are a bit heavy and cumbersome & over time the material has a tendency to 'crack' allowing seepage...

I've recently also started using one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313611338500  which are much lighter & quick to deploy. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into those a bit deeper.

Even with the cover I still probably would be assembling and dismantling the kit as per need and not just leave it outside 24/7 365. Just need some temporary cover for a week or two of clear sky spells...

Well, ok, this isn't DIY or bespoke, but have a look at what's on offer here

https://cygnusastrocovers.wixsite.com/mysite/shop

Neil, who makes them, is not strong on communication but in my experience the ordered item turns up after a week or two.  They are light weight, reasonably priced and provide various degrees of protection.

I have no affiliation with the vendor.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter-uk said:
Looking for ideas for a telescope cover. 

I went for a popup tent, but you would need somewhere on that concrete floor to fix the tie downs

tent.jpg

May I ask what is the technology that is being used to make that tent levitate? 🤣

• Haha 2

If it were my set up I would be hitting the local farm store up and buying a heavy duty weather proof tarp with the really good bunji cords.  Going cheap at this point is not an option 

On 21/08/2022 at 21:52, Oldfort said:

Well, ok, this isn't DIY or bespoke, but have a look at what's on offer here

https://cygnusastrocovers.wixsite.com/mysite/shop

Neil, who makes them, is not strong on communication but in my experience the ordered item turns up after a week or two.  They are light weight, reasonably priced and provide various degrees of protection.

I have no affiliation with the vendor.

+1 for Cygnus Astro. I've written a short review here.

36 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

If it were my set up I would be hitting the local farm store up and buying a heavy duty weather proof tarp with the really good bunji cords.

That what I used for my home-made solution, but as I pointed out, apart from being heavy to handle, over time the material has a tendency to 'crack', which while still prohibits a lot of water to get through, some seepage still gets through...

4 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

That what I used for my home-made solution, but as I pointed out, apart from being heavy to handle, over time the material has a tendency to 'crack', which while still prohibits a lot of water to get through, some seepage still gets through...

I have some old school tarps that are twenty plus years old.  They are super heavy duty.  I always kept them clean and treated them.  They never let a drop through 

I've tried "toilet tents", they barely lasted a winter here in Central Belt, after losing about 6 on one pier with a 10" reflector over at least the past 2 years, and that includes the -14˚C over night winter temps, and >25˚C daytime in summer.

Some tore their retaining loops out, others faded and the material cracked and flaked, then vanished in a breeze.

Finally got the TeleGizmos 365, OK, has a cost, but after a couple of years untouched over pier and mount, everything was very much clan and functional.

I accepted the £100/pa was a reasonable cost for a £3K mount, in fact purchased a second one year later.

Yeas, not as cheap as home made or other options, but, in my view well proven.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...