SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro Engineering 8x24 zoom

col

Iv been reading a lot about zoom eyepieces on here lately, which got me thinking about an old zoom iv had for years. So popped it in my Startavel 102 for terrestrial use and found it pretty good in daylight. 

I'm planning on trying it in my scope the first chance I get at night. 

I'm pretty sure it's at the lower end of the scale, but seems OK for terrestrial, so will see how it manages looking up. 

But I was wondering if anyone knows this brand and if you could give an opinion on it. 

20220821_154930.jpg

8 minutes ago, col said:

Thanks Zeta

So am I right in believing the optics are similar in quality to those brands? 

Well, if it is a Vixen, it will be at least as good as a Vixen zoom. Vixen zooms have been manufactured in both Japan and China in the past. There have been endless debates over whether Chinese made or Japanese made zooms are better. I doubt there's any difference.

Edited by Zeta Reticulan
  • Like 1

It would help to know when you bought it and how much you paid for it.  If it was over 15 years ago and cost $100 to $170, it's probably Vixen made in Japan.

However, Vixen discontinued their zoom over a dozen years ago, as far as I can recall.  It's more likely to be a branding of the Chinese made Celestron/Meade/Zhummel/Agena/Astromania/etc. 8-24mm zoom which was itself a clone of the Vixen zoom.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Louis D said:

It would help to know when you bought it and how much you paid for it.  If it was over 15 years ago and cost $100 to $170, it's probably Vixen made in Japan.

However, Vixen discontinued their zoom over a dozen years ago, as far as I can recall.  It's more likely to be a branding of the Chinese made Celestron/Meade/Zhummel/Agena/Astromania/etc. 8-24mm zoom which was itself a clone of the Vixen zoom.

It was gifted to me nearly 20 years ago , but cant remember for sure exactly when.  

25 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Astro engineering I thought were UK, I've a 1.6x barlow and I've found it good.

A UK brand, but that is either a Japanese or Chinese zoom.

2 hours ago, col said:

It was gifted to me nearly 20 years ago , but cant remember for sure exactly when.  

That makes it difficult.  The Japanese and Chinese versions look superficially very similar.  It could be a late Japanese or very early Chinese zoom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Vixen are actually making zooms in Japan now, or were a couple of years ago.

VbB9oCMl.jpg

I had to return mine due to being faulty. I wasn't that impressed anyway.

sLLFMp8l.jpg

I thought the Chinese made 'Astromeadeatrons' were better. The zoom in the OP's picture isn't an Astromeadeatron (or whatever they're really called in Chinese). It certainly doesn't look like it anyway. FWIW I think the Vixen zooms were overrated. I thought the Chinese zoom had a larger field stop at maximum and better transmission.

• Like 1

The Vixen LV 8-24mm zoom is a good optic, probably due to the use of Lanthanum glass, I've had a few samples over the years and they've all performed well and they are quite common on the used market. For a short period Vixen produced the NLV 8-24mm click-stop zoom which I've read was the better of the two but I've never seen one in the flesh. However, if I was going to recommend a zoom eyepiece then the Baader Mk IV would win hands down.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Franklin said:

The Vixen LV 8-24mm zoom is a good optic, probably due to the use of Lanthanum glass, I've had a few samples over the years and they've all performed well and they are quite common on the used market. For a short period Vixen produced the NLV 8-24mm click-stop zoom which I've read was the better of the two but I've never seen one in the flesh. However, if I was going to recommend a zoom eyepiece then the Baader Mk IV would win hands down.

I think TV marketed the one with the clickstop. 

I'm pretty sure the OP's zoom will be fine for astronomy. Wherever it is made. 

jjU8utol.jpg

A couple or three years ago I got taken in by all the mythology about Japanese made Vixen LV's. Basically I had to return three in a row due to visible debris and the zoom mechanisms had problems. I put it down to a bad batch but I never bought another. I did briefly use one of them though. The debris was only really noticeable on the Moon. I don't know what was wrong with the mechanism, but it was far from smooth. Zooms naturally rattle a bit, but this was an odd unnatural grinding as the zoom mechanism was turned. Apart from the debris there was visually nothing really wrong with the LV. I just preferred the Celestron. 

Edited by Zeta Reticulan

3 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Agree, I've had signs of debris in these but only visible at the 24mm setting, I assumed it was dust which had entered over time.

I think with mine something internal fell into the field. I had three in a row similarly afflicted. Almost certainly a bad batch. Pity really, apart from the weird twist problem it seemed a nicely made eyepiece.