Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi FC60CB

Das

Hi, I'm brand new to Stargazers Lounge, but I'm after a bit of advice. I was using my Tak fc60 visually last night to look at Jupiter and Saturn. I was using a 4mm Ortho and a 4mm TS plantery 4mm. I noticed I was getting quite a lot of what I can only describe as 'blooming' when viewing these two planets. It did settle down eventually on Jupiter, but not on Saturn, and the TS eyepiece was better. It was almost like there was too much light coming into the scope and the poor little eyepieces just couldn't cope! Does anyone know what might be causing this? By blooming I mean sudden bright flashes of light from the planets. Is this light scatter? Or just my eyes? Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

• Like 1

That's a fabulous scope you have and is capable of great views. Possible causes might be the fact they are bright objects and it can take a bit of time for your eyes to relax into the view. I've seen something similar when observing with a washing line or telephone line in the field of view. Possibly the eyepiece? I don't know. Are you able to beg, borrow or steal another one to try out?

Malcolm 

• Like 1

Saturn is quite low right now compared to Jupiter. When the planets are low the atmosphere can play tricks with the view. The optimum time to observe is when the planets transit the meridian, due south, that is when they will be at their highest in the sky and the atmosphere will have the least effect. Your little Tak is a diamond of a scope and will give you fantastic views when the conditions are correct.

• Like 1

The FC60 is a small scope but still needs time to acclimatize, for best performance the scope needs to be at the same temperature as the ambient air outside. If taking your scope out from a warm living room the air inside the tube will be warmer than the air outside. This creates thermals inside the tube and all that warm air moving around basically mucks up the view. Your description of "blooming" sounds very much like thermals. Also, it matters what is in front of you, if you are pointing the scope over houses or roads then this to can create thermals which will impede your view. Ideally you need to put the scope outside for at least 1/2 an hour before observing and be pointing the scope over green fields.

• Like 1

Hi, many thanks for all your replies. Most helpful. I have taken note of your suggestions and I will implement them on my next viewing session. Again thank you. Let's hope for clear skies! 

• Like 1