SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan woes

Hello all first post….

So I have a 2nd hand Skywatcher eq5 mount that will not align. I’ve polar aligned well and made sure all the info is entered correctly and tried a 1 and 2 star alignment which after says ‘alignment successful’. Then no matter which button I press it asks to do the alignment again?!! Could the handset be broken or need an update? I tried a factory reset with no luck. 

• Sad 1

Welcome to the site.

Echo what Knighty and Cosmic said, get out of that menu and move on. This will not be the only challenge you have with synscan, one of my doh moments is always the "rate", if it doesn't seem to be moving check the rate and speed it up/down as needed. All the best.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am powering with 13 volts from mains supply. After it says ‘alignment successful’ I was pressing the Enter button and also tried  several others and it returned just to whichever star alignment I had just done. 

I am not sure if I have tried pressing the  Esc button after the ‘Alignment successful’ message so will try this next attempt and let you know how it goes. 

no harm to try that out during the day and just accept stars it offers, then at the end hit Esc and see if it lets you select targets and swings to them. At least then you've good light to see by to check stuff, much less frustrating than trying at night 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59

Ah yes I just tried an alignment in daylight and can report it is working ok!!! Just me being a bit dim with technology lol! Thanks for saving me much frustration!!

Im new to astrophotography using tracking mounts and all the stuff that goes with it. I’ve spent the last couple weeks putting together an EQ5 pro, Sky Watcher 72 ED, Canon 450 D, 50mm guide scope with ZWO 120 mini, 2 dew heaters and the pile of cables and gadgets needed. Now I’m just learning to use Stellarium, PHD2 and APT. 

To say it’s a steep learning curve is an understatement but I’m gradually getting there lol. 

• Like 1

I found the handset annoying beyond belief so i bought a Sky-Watcher SynScan WiFi Adapter as soon as they came out, cost me £55 from widescreen centre then sold the hand set for £85. Downloaded Synscan Pro app for iphone/ipad and pc version so i now control my mount primarily with my Ipad. Dead easy to use also as my mount is permanent i usually dont need to star align unless i change telescope.