SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

locations

Hi everyone, i live in Exeter and I've recently bought my first telescope, does anyone have any advice on where to go to use it? I live in the centre of the city and have set up outside my house a few times just to teach my self how to use it, but obviously the light pollution is quite high so have gone up to dartmoor a couple of times with the hope of spending a good few hours observing but being up on the moor on my own at night made me quite anxious, so i end up packing up and going home. 

• Like 1

I don't know about Exeter specifically, but if there is a local village somewhere with a playground or green space? Other than a few dog walkers these places are generally empty after dark but not in the middle of nowhere. May not be as good as Dartmoor for dark skies, but may be less anxiety inducing.

I know what you mean Paul, I'm also in Exeter and a beginner. I can get away with some viewing from the garden, but light and rooftops do spoil things. Driving out is really the answer, but I'm not up for late nights at the moment nor doing it solo. Perhaps when it's darker earlier we could pair up for a trip to the Moors? 

• Like 2

Opened up 'maps' and randomly had a look around Exeter- seems Rowhorne Road just a few Km to the NW has many small dirt tracks branching from it leading to hills. Why not set your gear up on one of those hills?

Edited by SthBohemia

I can recommend the gostargazing website as it has maps and links for locations and events. Here's a recommended site near Exeter

https://gostargazing.co.uk/events/locations/haldon-forest-park-forestry-commission/

You might also be interested in the upcoming events at the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth

https://gostargazing.co.uk/events/locations/norman-lockyer-observatory/

• Like 1

Exeter - surrounded by many dark sky areas; have a look (global  orientation):

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=11.00&lat=50.7236&lon=-3.5275&layers=B0FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFF

Regarding anxieties: you are not alone....:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/790336-ever-feel-spooked-observing-from-remote-dark-sites/?hl= women

Stephan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SthBohemia said:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/790336-ever-feel-spooked-observing-from-remote-dark-sites/?hl= women

Love the link ^^, a great read 🙂  Never been lucky enough to encounter a BOOGEY MAN in the dead of night 😞 

I love the story of the guy, who was observing in a graveyard. At a second glance, not as appalling - people under your feet are quiet, never annoying or harming (graveyards are very safe places, especially at night), absolutely no  curious visitors, total darkness. And if there's a light, it's always coloured red! Water supply guaranteed; and in case of emergency, you just have to point the ambulance to the cemetery of....;-)

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Haha 1

Wow thanks everyone I didn’t expect such a quick response, ukdiver that sounds great :)

clarkey yes thats a good idea i think i will have a look around for somewhere although idealy I would like somewhere i could park and setup next to my car to save carrying everything 

gfamily do you go to these events? I would love to go they seem great fun 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, paulcarpenter99 said:

gfamily do you go to these events? I would love to go they seem great fun 

I'm a member of a couple of astro societies (chair of one of them), but we're in the North West rather than the South West, so not the same ones. However, I think most clubs would  be a great way to meet similar minded people. 

As for one off events for the general public, they can be good too. Most times, most people won't know each other, so say hello and hopefully people will be welcoming.

If you're into camping, Star parties are excellent too, as there will be plenty of experienced people who I'd hope would be helpful if you need any. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, paulcarpenter99 said:

A star party sounds amazing

You would be sure to make dozens of new friends at a star party so long as you take an esky (or 6) full of Fosters lager and lotsa cakes 🙂 

I lived in Devon on the south coast just down the road from Exeter for years and I've experienced some of the darkest skies ever down there. Anywhere along the south coast, plenty of car parks to set up in. I spent a night on the sand dunes of Dawlish Warren by the mouth of the river Ex and it was magical. Haldon is high up and has very dark skies looking south out to sea but Dartmoor was easily the best. I used to take the kids camping up there just for an excuse to do some stargazing. Never seen so many stars, so many I couldn't recognize the usual constellations. Heading east from Exeter will take you into similar places as well. When I retire, IF I ever retire, I would love to move back down there. You're very lucky living so close to such great observing areas, not to mention Exmoor, a little further out but a recognized dark sky site. Exeter is such a lovely place as well. There's a reason Devon rhymes with Heaven! Why did I ever move?????

• Thanks 1

Franklin exeter is a magical place. Dartmoor, exmoor and a hundred beaches in all directions, your welcome back any time!  The telescope setup I bought is quite heavy any i was trying to think of a location that I could park my car and set up right beside. Every forum i go on mentions haldon but i go there and cannot find a suitable place … i mean haldon is a forrest, where abouts do you go? 

Some years ago now, but at the top of Haldon Hill off the main road that goes to Newton Abbot and Torquay the forestry commission did extensive clearance work. Diseased spruce and fir I think, but there used to be pockets of cleared areas dotted about up there. I used to go up the hill at the back of Teignmouth golf club. It's a good idea to take a drive around and a walk about in the day to find suitable places. You need to find somewhere that's accessible but not well known because the last thing you need is to run into a car load of brain dead yobos in the middle of the night. Sad but true, you need to be very careful and it's probably better to get some observing buddies, safety in numbers. Getting involved with your local astro club is good advise. Also camp sites are safe but you have to be pretty sure about the weather forcast as it's not free to camp. 

5 hours ago, paulcarpenter99 said:

A star party sounds amazing, would you have any idea how i could find local ones? 

There's a sub forum here for Star Parties and Astro Events, and if people remember to post there, you'll see most of the major ones flagged up.

I'm not aware of any in SW England, so your nearest one coming up is Astrocamp, in the Brecon Beacons in September.

https://astrocamp.awesomeastronomy.com/

(Best to book on a computer rather than a phone. It's just easier. If you don't have a computer, the trick is to turn your phone sideways after selecting which area of the site to book) 

The Lower Field has plenty of pitches, but if you need an electric hookup, there are two pitches on The Common that nobody seems to have noticed are available. 

Edited by Gfamily

On 20/08/2022 at 16:54, paulcarpenter99 said:

A star party sounds amazing, would you have any idea how i could find local ones? 

Hi, Paul! I maintain a database of stargazing events including star parties and star camps on my Go Stargazing website.

https://gostargazing.co.uk/events-map/ for public stargazing events in the coming thirty days, with option to see all future events

https://gostargazing.co.uk/go-starcamping/ for a list of future star camps

Clear skies!

Neill

• Like 1