Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 AND Gemini Side by Side Bar

Hi,

This is probably a dumb question......

I have recently acquired a HEQ5 mount and I am thinking about buying a Gemini side by side bar to mount my EOS camera c/w large format 300 mm lens, next to my Equinox 80. When I lookon the web at the images of the bar, the male fitting on the underside of the bar (the dovetale that slots into the HEQ5 head) appears to be at 90 degrees to the two female dovetails that accept the instrumentation.

My question is; does this have any implications for polar alignment, telescope setup and Go-to? Also, has anyone used one of these bars, if so, how to you rate it?

All the best, Herrman

Ron,

I think the question is: when the scopes/ cameras are mounted on a dual bar they sit at 90 degrees to the "normal" direction of a scope in the HEQ5..

I use this set-up for my solar scopes etc with no problems.

Getting the balancing is a bit more fiddly, but when achieved everything works well.

The Synscan control does n't care how the scope is mounted; when you do the normal alignment procedures everything is "corrected"

Hope this helps.

Ron,

I think the question is: when the scopes/ cameras are mounted on a dual bar they sit at 90 degrees to the "normal" direction of a scope in the HEQ5..

I use this set-up for my solar scopes etc with no problems.

Getting the balancing is a bit more fiddly, but when achieved everything works well.

The Synscan control does care how the scope is mounted; when you do the normal alignment procedures everything is "corrected"

Hope this helps.

Ah!, I get it, I've misunderstood completely then.

I suppose I should have studied the post a bit more.

Never mind, no harm done. Except Herrman might be thinking "Who's that Idiot.":D

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your replies.

I was right.... it was a dumb question!

I have been used to using Autostar where getting the scope precisely lined-up in the home position is critical when setting up and aligning. I realise now, as Barkis and Merlin66 point out, as long as the mount is polar aligned and the counter-weight shaft is pointing downwards then Synscan doesn't worry about how the scope is mounted.

Thank you for the image Barkis, yes that is the bar I was thinking of buying. May I ask if you are happy with its performance?

Thanks again to you all,

Regards, Herrman

PS I am new to forums; I hope I am following the correct etiquette when replying

:)

Herrman.

The bar, as shown in the first picture shows that the machining of the dovetail, has penetrated below the base, leaving a small channel, which unfortunately, allows the ridge of my Skywatcher Extruded Dovetail bar to seek entry into that groove, and if the securing screw is not very tight, it is possible for the scope to tip out of the mount altogether. Pretty deadly.

My solution was to buy a solid dovetail bar, and that solved the problem.

Here is a picture to try and show what I mean. It is probably true to say, that this has been recognized, and subsequent DM Bars do not have that groove.

Ron.

post-13213-133877362473_thumb.jpg

I really do give up I think... Herrman, that AE design is a blatant and illegal copy of the original Ambermile design. Feel free to buy it if you want to since it has now been superceded and is obselete anyway - but be aware that in doing so you are condoning design theft.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

From some of the replies it is obvious that there is some history here that I was unaware of. I have now done a bit of surfing, and the comments now make sense. It looks like launch a new version of the Ambermile is imminent. I am happy to wait until it becomes available. Regards, Herrman

Hi Ron,

Very many thanks for providing the images- I can see what you mean, very nasty! Ron has put me onto the Ambermile mount, which I guess won't have this machine groove.

Thanks again, Herrman

Hi Ron,

Very many thanks for providing the images- I can see what you mean, very nasty! Ron has put me onto the Ambermile mount, which I guess won't have this machine groove.

Thanks again, Herrman

Herrman you are most welcome. AlthoughI fear that due to no fault of either of us, we managed to stir up a little Hornets nest.

I hope you manage to acquire a suitable Mounting facility for your telescopes.

I'm sure the Impending release of Ambermile's system, will be exactly what you need.

Best Wishes.

Ron.:)

• 2 years later...

Archived