SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

so, Artemis test flight AKA Should Launch Someday, 16-Nov-2022

DaveL59

And all the other junk, engines included that will fall in the sea. 

https://www.planetary.org/articles/artemis-i-launch-guide#:~:text=None of the hardware is,own%2C coasting towards the Moon.

It will take eight-and-a-half minutes for Orion to reach its initial orbit, still attached to the SLS upper stage that will blast it to the Moon. The twin SLS solid rocket boosters will fall into the Atlantic, while the core stage and four recycled Space Shuttle engines will tumble into the Pacific. None of the hardware is recoverable.

image.png.71a33f834d52f470164fcce91b1b9204.png

It will take eight-and-a-half minutes for Orion to reach its initial orbit, still attached to the SLS upper stage that will blast it to the Moon. The twin SLS solid rocket boosters will fall into the Atlantic, while the core stage and four recycled Space Shuttle engines will tumble into the Pacific. None of the hardware is recoverable.

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 1

Who knows what they will do with the junk...

However I'm delighted a British astronaut will be in the hot seat... Shaun the Sheep!

"We're very happy he's been selected for the mission and we understand, although it might be a small step for a human, it's a giant leap for lambkind." Dr. David Parker at ESA.

Good luck Shaun! 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I'm delighted a British astronaut will be in the hot seat... Shaun the Sheep!

Oh dear! This cannot possibly bode well for the success of the mission!

I hope he doesn't get up to his usual mischief! Good luck, NASA.

• Like 2

I'm sure it will get off the ground just fine, but I have some doubts about it accomplishing the rest of the mission goals.  Apollo 11 was launched on my birthday and while I've always thought highly of NASA (a family member got into an argument with Musk over safety issues), the decline of the organization and debacles in the years after Apollo make me a bit skeptical.  And if Boeing has anything to do with anything... well...

I hope I'm completely wrong.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 2

Sadly the SLS looks so underwhelming compared to where spacex are.  SpaceX might well demonstrate something similar within the next year with reusable rockets.

Have to feel for Boeing but what can you say. 

No matter I am looking forward with a degree of excitement at a ship capable of carrying astronauts going to the moon. The next five years could be very exciting. 

• Like 3

Was surprised that sky news even gave it some coverage this morning, only a very brief chat with the new comptroller and more covering the number of ladies now in the back room vs just the one in the 60's.

I hope it goes!

I took the day off and will head that way about 1am in the morning.

I do have my concerns with it going being they've already had issues with the wet rehearsals. 

The thing that really makes me sick/sad is that the program with Boeing is tens of billions over budget. It's behind schedule. And just like happened with the Shuttle, launches were supposed to be 500 million each, now they say possibly 4 billion each!

If that's the case, it's time for somebody to put on their big boy pants and have a serious talk with the contractors!

I'll volunteer to speak to them for just a pitiful $1,000,000.00! Not even a drop in the bucket.

47 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I hope it goes!

I took the day off and will head that way about 1am in the morning.

I do have my concerns with it going being they've already had issues with the wet rehearsals. 

The thing that really makes me sick/sad is that the program with Boeing is tens of billions over budget. It's behind schedule. And just like happened with the Shuttle, launches were supposed to be 500 million each, now they say possibly 4 billion each!

If that's the case, it's time for somebody to put on their big boy pants and have a serious talk with the contractors!

I'll volunteer to speak to them for just a pitiful $1,000,000.00! Not even a drop in the bucket.

no more rain dancing for a while tho, or we'll be blaming you for the delays 😉 

• Like 1

Just did a quick forward scan of the TV guide on the sky box, nothing on this at all which was a surprise.

I guess it has become like the norm or just no perceived interest. I suppose the news will show a short clip if it does get to go and scheduling anything on the basis of "it may - it may not" is a cost, but for the younger generation like my kids/nieces/nephews and their kids, well pretty much anyone  born after the 70's this is at least a new endeavour. Oh well I suppose these gens all watch online rather than scheduled to-air broadcast these days.

My guess is they won't even bother to cover the Virgin Cosmic Girl launch that's coming up either which will be heading off from Cornwall.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

According to the Spaceflight Now feed that I'm following, they're having a problem with reports of a leak when loading the liquid Hydrogen - same place as they reported a leak in a trial wet run in April.

I'd not be surprised if there's a scrubbed launch today, and if they've not been able to fix something they've known was a problem for 4 months, I'm not sure whether they'll get it sorted for the next launch window on 2nd Sept.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/08/29/artemis-1-launch-live-coverage/

• Thanks 1